Options

I am seriously thinking of buying a Used T@b 400 to tow with my Honda pilot to see the country.

Hello all,
How are the air conditioning and heating system on these. I would hate to have not working on a hot day or cool night? Does anybody use a portable ac unit as backup or are the systems pretty reliable. I most likely would buy a Honda generator for boon docking and use the batteries when it's not hot out for everything else or plug in at a RV park. I'm looking to buy one and travel around the U.S. maybe a couple months and then sell it. I'v heard many RV's come with cheap equipment which I don't want to deal with.

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    I have a 2019 400 and a quick scan of your proposed tow vehicle would give me pause. Tongue weight on the 400 can be over 400 lb depending on the model year.

Then depending on how much you load your Pilot could significantly impact tow capacity for a trailer like the 400, which is going to be over 3,500 lbs.

The CoolCat AC is quite reliable and works well in hot climates but requires shore power. It is also a heat pump for mild cold. The Alde heat and hot water has a learning curve but if it has been maintained it is also reliable, as is the rest of the trailer if well cared for.

I don’t want to presume your wants and needs but for couple of months ownership then sell your trailer it seems like a rental of a similar size Class C would save money and the drivetrain on your Pilot.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 147
    I too have a 2019 and agree with @qhumberd on the A/C and heating - we have had zero issues in hot and cold weather.  Just test them before you buy.  We tow with a Highlander rated at 5000lbs tow capacity with a WDH and have no problems.  So if your Honda is similar and you check and adjust your tongue weight, trailer weight and vehicle weight when loaded, I wouldn’t worry too much unless you plan to zig-zag endlessly across the Rockies.  My take would be that if your numbers are within the limits you can drive safely and you won’t do much harm in a few months.  Buy a lightly used well cared for 400 and enjoy!
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited