Options

I’m an electrical idiot.

So this spring I installed a 200ah Renogy lithium battery in my tab 400. At the same time I created a outside charging port for my 140watt suitcase. Because the suitcase was a few years old I needed to replace the charge controller built on to it with one compatible with lithium. I removed the controller and wired the panels to the original extension cable and installed a new Renogy voyager controller under the bed connected directly to the battery. I also have a previously installed Victron BMV700 right next to it. During the first outing where I was able to use the solar panels a weird thing happened. The built in Bluetooth monitor in the battery said the battery was getting charged but the Victron 700, which has always been accurate, did not. I’m sure I’ve wired the new solar controller incorrectly but not sure how. Any help would be appreciated. See photo. 

2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle. 

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    Expert wiring job ! :) If I follow the spaghetti correctly you wired the solar charge controller directly to the battery and bypassed the shunt for the Victron in the process. I'm guessing the white wire is the negative/ground side for the trailer and ultimately the negative side of the converter. Connecting the negative output from the solar charge controller to the same post the white wire goes to should make the shunt measure charge current from either the converter or the solar charger. 
  • Options
    JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
     Generally my rule is if there’s no smoke then we’re good!  I figured it was something simple but wasn’t sure what. 
  • Options
    JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
    edited August 2023
    To update:  the black wire going to the negative battery terminal is now connected to the load terminal on the shunt and all is well. With the solar panels connected today I was able to monitor the charge going to the battery. 
    Thank you Grumpy for only making a little bit of fun of me!