Options

2015 Tab S

First timer and looking to purhase one, any advice? anything to look for? I read the 2018 thread, so beyond those items, any recalls or anything that I need to be aware of?

Comments

• Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @arubino, I'm not sure what's in the 2018 thread you reference but the biggest item I would list is the Alde system, specifically the condition of the hose to aluminum connection and possible corrosion...look for those telltale bulging hoses.  We have a 2015 and I've run into some of those issues, good thing is if you are a bit handy there's nothing that can't be fixed.
    If you have a good mechanic or trailer shop you trust they can give the mechanical side of things a good inspection.  Nothing better than knowing the condition of things before you begin negotiating.
    If you want to chat more in depth feel free to PM me.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    arubinoarubino Member Posts: 2
    will have a good check - I saw a thread in this forum with the diagram showing the registers. 
    1. Where are they physically located on the 320? - I know one is on the driver side bench with the vents underneath, where are any others?  I just saw your thread on this topic.  I will be looking closely.  
    2, I have a PH tester used with my hottub, will be looking for the 9.5-10.5.  What is the minimum PH you would want to see before you can pretty much assume there is electrolysis taking place? 

very good info and advice thank-you!  I have been cruising this forum for a little bit since I am interested in a 320, this is definitely a great spot for info, and thanks to all the contributors.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @arubino depending on year and model, there are variations. My 2017 320 S, has the fins under the far back cabinets and on the passenger side bench, with the alde itself sitting below the driver's side back sofa bench.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @arubino, my 320 has (had) 3 pair of convectors: 2 shorter ones under the driver side bench, 2 slightly longer ones under the passenger side bench and 2 long ones in the back running side to side.  The 2 pair under the side benches are pretty easy to get to for inspection.  A few pocket screws hold the plywood cover protecting the convectors.  Remove those screws (#2 square drive) and the cover and you will be able to easily see the hose connections to the convectors and spot any bulging in the hoses (I'm sure there were some pics in the thread you mentioned of "the bulges" I encountered  :| ).  The two long ones in the rear are a bit more difficult to inspect.  In my 2015 those convectors were attached to the back side of what I call the headboard.  When I rebuilt my Alde system I moved those long convectors to the floor and built a more useable back shelf (see Back Shelf Rebuild or Post Corrosion Fallot, Back Shelf Rebuild or Post Corrosion Fallout ).  Since I was running all new hoses I was not restricted to the original placement of the convectors.  I also chose to remove the short convectors in the driver side bench because I didn't like the idea of all that heat in the "electrical cabinet" where the convertor and the propane alarm are located.  That decision to eliminate them did not seem to negatively impact the heating in the camper.  The wife and I sleep "singles", one on each side and since the Alde boiler is on the driver side it helps keep that bed toasty.  And if I'm not mistaken NuCamp eliminated the short ones in the driver side bench in 2016.

2:  In my case the pH of the glycol was within the "normal" 9.5 to 10.5 range but I still had big issues so while checking the pH is recommended I would not take that as gospel that you don't/won't have a problem.  Be sure to do the visual check of the hose connections.  The seller shouldn't have a problem with you doing that inspection, if they do that's probably a good sign that it has problems  =).

Happy shopping!  We are loving ours!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 55
    On my 2016, the worst corrosion was on the driver side of the rear convector. Both connections there were so corroded that the hoses had split at the connections and we're leaking. Inspecting the upper of those two connections is relatively easy with a flashlight.
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA