Options

Inconsistent Solar Power

Hi there. I have a 2021 Tab 320s BD with factory installed solar. I have been having issues with the solar not working. I check the battery (the panel inside) before connecting to shore, and it lights up for a split second then nothing, and I have no power inside. Then, after moving to a new location, I will check it and it will work again and show a battery reading and things will be running off battery. I took it to a dealership, and they said it was the Victron that needed updating, and of course charged me the hourly rate to do that. Well, It still isn't working consistently. I can't take it back to the dealership that worked on it because I live on the road and no longer in that state. I did call them and the technician said I may have an electrical gremlin. Honestly, I think it never worked properly. I was not educated on this camper when I bought it, and didn't even know about the Victron app until I took it to this dealership. Anyway, I have 2 questions. 1) can someone tell me some things to check (I have already checked the fuses), like walk me thru the things down the line to look for, and 2) a translator for the Victron app. I have no idea what I am looking at. Layman's terms would be greatly appreciated. I really just need a chart...LOL (check here, did that fix it? yes---no----> check here) thanks for any insight and knowledge you share. 

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Assuming that you now have the Victron app, can you post a screen shot of what it shows during daylight hours and what it shows at night (with the camper disconnected from shore power)
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    Yes, there are "Victron Explainers".  And, let us say right off: the Kib monitor inside the trailer is inadequate as a battery monitor.  Your Victron screen should be the only place you look for battery voltage info.
    Tell us what type/size battery you have.  Send a photo if you want.
    Open the Victron app, find the "Settings" screen.  If you can post a screen shot, that will be great.  We will be able to tell you if the settings are correct for your type of battery.
    We could also use the "History" page going back a few days, which will show us if the solar is actually working.
    Same thing with the "Status" page, that will also tell us if your solar is working.

It is hard to tell what you mean about "working consistently".  The history and status page will tell us a lot.  And, yes, the app can be a bit strange to decode.
    And: we are back to the "rested" battery issue.  A battery being used or being charged will never read the proper voltage.  So, if you are trying to decode the battery voltage with the fridge running and the fan running, that readout of voltage and solar on the Victron app will be low.  Charging with the solar or shore power, the opposite: the voltage reading will be "high".  The only way to get consistent readouts from your Victron is: with the battery switch off, and no solar/shore power coming into the trailer. 
    And: you are not alone....many owners have to get through this hoop of Battery Management. 
    This thread has the same basic questions, and the "Victron Explainer" is in the thread.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    freebyrd73freebyrd73 Member Posts: 5
    I am sorry for not explaining it properly. When I say not working consistently, what I mean is sometimes I have 12v power, and sometimes I don't. I think there is something jiggy where the battery is. Like something is loose. I replaced the factory battery a yr ago when I was having this issue. It is the same type of battery as before. The reading below is when the sun is no longer hitting the panels. Currently connected to shore power. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    Something is quite off with that battery voltage.  Take a very close look at your battery cables, and make sure the posts are clean, the cables tight.  There should be a 30 amp fuse at the battery, in a little plastic holder.  Open the holder and check the fuse.  Find your solar controller.  Check to make sure the connections at the controller are secure. 
    The history shows this battery has been in "float" charging status consistently for quite a while.  But, the voltage number on your status page shows a battery that is basically...dead.  You need to eliminate the Victron "cross confusion" here about the battery: if you have a multimeter, or can get one, a few minutes with the meter will tell you what the "actual" status of the battery is.
    We have seen in the last few months a number of owners who have had their Victron bluetooth readouts go haywire when a new battery is installed, or some other maintenance is done with the battery.  The way that Victron says to re-connect a battery is to connect the battery to the solar controller before connecting the solar panel cables to the controller.  The Victron module has to be able to read the battery status correctly before it can decide what power to send to the battery from the panel when the panels are connected.
    If your cables at the battery, the fuses at the battery, and the cables and fuse (there is one near the controller) from the solar panel are correct, it may be helpful to "reset" the controller: disconnect the negative cables from the panel and battery at the controller, and then connect the battery cable first, then the solar cable.
    Usually, though, the issues with the bluetooth don't include the type of issue you are seeing here, and if you say the trailer is completely losing 12V power, that may lead to looking at the battery wiring between the battery, the junction box, and the ground bus bar down near the Alde.  If you do not find any other issues with cables/fuses/wires, then your next step should be find a multimeter and see what it says about your battery state of charge.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    freebyrd73freebyrd73 Member Posts: 5
    ok thanks... this is the instructions I needed to follow the process of elimination for resolution. I will update you once I get a chance to walk thru your directions.