Options

Add 12v receptacle to bed cubby in 2023 400.

DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
I want to add a 12v receptacle to run off the battery (not the inverter or converter) in the bed cubby on a 2023 400.  Where should I tap into the battery circuit?  Plan on using it to run a USB plug for cell phone/laptop charging, do not want to run the inverter. Could I run it off the Victron MPPT Controller Load terminals (not currently used)?
2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Devices like lights, water pump, fans are wired for 12V.  You can access the wiring for the above bed light circuit from the light switch inside the cubby.  It would need to be wired between the switch and the distribution box, so upstream of the switch.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    The 400 should have and existing USB outlet in the bedroom cubby.  Are you wanting to add an additional one?  If so you can keep it very simple and just wire it directly to the battery.  Just get one that has an inline fuse in it.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    @DaveC are you looking for a "12V port", like the one below?
    Is there one like this in that "cubby" area? The photo is from a 2020 400.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Here is the 2023 TaB 400 bed cubbie.  It has a switch for the lights, a switch for the inverter, and one of the 120V outlets  powered by the inverter.  The other inverter outlet has the plug for the TV.  (PrincessCraft reviewed the model on YouTube.)

From RVTravel:

“Inside that cubby is a switch to operate the inverter and another to turn on/off the lights. There’s also a household outlet that is attached to the inverter, so you could run a CPAP machine overnight from battery power.”

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Starting in 2021 the bed cubby of the 400 has a combination 120v/usb outlet.  It is hard to see on it in photos but what looks like just a 120v outlet actually  has two usb outlets in it as well. 

If boondocking the inverter must be turned on to operate the 120v and the usb outlets.  If on shore power it will operate without the inverter needing to be turned on.  There is no longer a 12v cigarette style outlet in the cubby.

So @DaveC look closely at your outlet.  If you only need a USB it should already be built into the 120v outlet.  Here is a link to NuCamps walk through of the 2023 400.  At about 5:40 in they show and go over the features of the bedroom cubby, which includes the combo 120v/usb outlet. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI2Lxq_ilSk
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    I don't want to have to use the inverter to charge a phone. It can't be efficient to convert 12v to 110 and back to 12 to USB.  Also the inverter activates all outlet and TV lights. I just want a 12v receptacle running off the battery for boondocking, so I am looking for a 12v source to tap into.
  • Options
    What about the lights above the bed controlled by the cubbie switch?  Isn’t that 12V only?
  • Options
    The outlet in the dinette is a dedicated 12v outlet. However if you want one in the cubby that is not connected to the inverter I can think of two easy methods.   Either get a usb extension cord to run from the dinette outlet to the bed or connect a USB outlet directly to the battery via a fused cable and install it in the cubby.
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    I want clean install, so I am leaning to wiring the socket to the load output of the MPPT controller with a fuse.  Anyone used the load output on the Victron controller?

• Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2023
    DaveC said:
    I want clean install, so I am leaning to wiring the socket to the load output of the MPPT controller with a fuse.  Anyone used the load output on the Victron controller?

That should work fine @DaveC. The load output will bypass the battery cutoff switch and always be active though. So maybe a switched USB? (as they consume power constantly stepping the voltage down from 12V).
    Here is the section from the Victron MPPT manual backing up your thought...

2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    DaveC said:

Why? You're charging a phone. It's only a USB outlet. Don't overthink it. Just grab the 12V power from the closest light. I use Marine type PD outlets. Easy to install and lots of different USB/12V outlet/switch/meter combinations available. I've installed them all through my T@B. Even added a weatherproof USB port outside. I put everything on a master switch bank so nothing is on unless I'm using it.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited September 2023
    You could replace your overhead reading lights with this that has a usb port and then put your phone in the overhead accent light “shelf”:

https://a.co/d/6IQu19v

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 306
    DaveC said:
    I want to add a 12v receptacle to run off the battery (not the inverter or converter) in the bed cubby on a 2023 400.  Where should I tap into the battery circuit?  Plan on using it to run a USB plug for cell phone/laptop charging, do not want to run the inverter. Could I run it off the Victron MPPT Controller Load terminals (not currently used)?
    Just tap into the available 12v wires behind the cubby area. That is what I did to add a 2 port USB-C charging receptacle. And also a UBB-A and 12v plug receptacle.