Options

Trailer brakes in sloped campsite

gandegande Member Posts: 90
I just set up my 2018 tab400 at a campsite in June Lake, California. The campsite is quite sloped front to back. The front A- frame of my trailer is just about on the ground to achieve front to back level. I have everything chocked up as much as possible. I’m wondering what happens if I pull the pin on the trailer brakes with the battery switched on. I’m assuming the trailer brakes will activate. Is there a downside to having it set like that for a couple of days? How much power do they use? Will I cause any damage? 
gande

2018 T@b 400
2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I would think that it would draw a fair bit. Assuming that you're camping without shore power I wouldn't try it unless you have a battery monitor. When I've been in that situation I've run both trailer tires up on stacks of leveling blocks.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    You will quickly drain your battery. Don't pull the pin. Just chock the wheels and maybe use some extra chocks or rocks for added comfort and security. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    I measured the emergency break away brakes at 6 amps. Some other threads have it a bit less, but in either case, that would be a fairly large draw from the battery.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited September 2023
    The brakes will overheat and fail if left activated.  Often the cause of fires after unhitched accidents have waited for First Responders to arrive. 
    Chocks is the best solution and the stabilizers will keep you secure once they are deployed.
    BTW - I really miss the handbrake my DM T@B had...

• Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 90
    Thanks @Marceline @bergger @pthomas745
     @rfuss928

That’s pretty much what I figured on the battery drain. My main concern was the potential to damage the system as @rfuss928 indicated. 

My chocking and blocking got us through the night without rolling down the hill, so I think we’ll be ok. 

gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8