Options

Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome

I haven't gotten much use out of my Harvest Hosts membership, there just don't seem to be many in areas I want to be.
I am wondering about adding Boondockers Welcome to my membership.  Curious what others experience with BW is, especially on the West Coast USA.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can see where the BW sites are without joining, and it would add $50/year to my HH membership.

Thanks!
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    brokeboaterbrokeboater Member Posts: 1
    I was a Boondockers welcome host for awhile and enjoyed it.  I was suppose to get a free three months every time I let someone stay on my property.  Unfortunately when the Harvest Host folks took over BW they reneged on the deal.  They said they would honor it, then they were going to honor some of it, then they honored non of it.  Although I doubt I'd have ever used it because it doesn't fit my travel style it still left negative feelings towards the organization.   Either your word is your word or it's not.  I just decided to go on the site to see if you could see where the hosts were locations.  Apparently you have to join in order to see where the hosts are locations.  Seems to be asking a bit much to take their word that there are hosts where you might want to go.  There is almost no risk to the organization if they were to show where to host sites were actually located. 
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I was a Boondockers welcome host for awhile and enjoyed it.  I was suppose to get a free three months every time I let someone stay on my property.  Unfortunately when the Harvest Host folks took over BW they reneged on the deal.  They said they would honor it, then they were going to honor some of it, then they honored non of it.  Although I doubt I'd have ever used it because it doesn't fit my travel style it still left negative feelings towards the organization.   Either your word is your word or it's not.  I just decided to go on the site to see if you could see where the hosts were locations.  Apparently you have to join in order to see where the hosts are locations.  Seems to be asking a bit much to take their word that there are hosts where you might want to go.  There is almost no risk to the organization if they were to show where to host sites were actually located. 
    Thanks for sharing your experience.  The HH reality is not what I imagined when I initially signed up.  I've had trouble finding available hosts in areas I want to travel, unresponsive hosts when I've requested a stay, etc.  I think I'll give them one more year, and if I don't use the membership more, I'll cancel.  It is tough as camping is getting tighter and tighter around here.  I would like to be more spontaneous in my camping, but it doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Oh, just found this interactive map.  I wonder if it is current?
    https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/searchhosts/