Options

questions about older Go Power portable solar panel kit

I bought a Go Power 80 watt portable solar panel kit (Model # GP-PSK-80) several years ago, used it once but am not sure I completely understood it then.  Planning to use it on an upcoming trip where we will be dry camping.  Have a new flooded lead-acid battery.  The solar panel has a controller that seems crude compared to what Go Power is putting on this model now.  The instructions that come with it aren't helpful with respect to some things.  In addition to the ability to select the battery type, it has a charging status indicator and a battery status indicator which provide information by way of various light configurations.  The instructions indicate that, when the charging status indicator is "green fast flashing," the system is "over voltage."  Don't know what this means - do I have to do something like disconnect it to prevent damage to the battery?  Instructions for the battery status indicator say that, when it is "green slowly flashing," the battery is full -again, would this mean I would have to disconnect it to avoid over charging the battery and damaging it?  The instructions for the battery status indicator, say when it is "green on," battery voltage is in "normal range."  I can guess what this means but am not sure.  I am hoping I can set this panel up and not have to be checking the controller frequently to avoid damaging the battery - that I can set it up and it would serve the function of keeping the battery topped off.  
2018 T@B 320S

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 455
    From what I gather from the manual "over voltage" means too high voltage on the panel side (over 32V). That won't happen with the panel setup you have, but could happen if the controller is used with other panels/configurations. 

You can leave the solar charging connected to the battery when the battery is fully charged. Typically you'll use some battery capacity at night and the solar will recharge the next day. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    A solar controller is simply a battery charger.  It is hard to tell what they mean by "overvoltage". Too much power coming into the controller from the panel?  In that case, the controller would just ignore the extra voltage coming in from the panel.  The "flashing green light" would just mean the battery is fully charged, and is just waiting until the controller can start up again when the battery begins to deplete.
    Do you have a multimeter?  What other tool would you be using to monitor the status of your battery?  (A meter would tell you a lot more than this solar controller, it seems).  I'm also interested in how you plan to get the controller to connect to the trailer battery.
    Next would be: can you simply remove this controller from the loop and set up a different one? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    jalars8jalars8 Member Posts: 35
    On your advice, I did get a multimeter which I will use to check battery status.  The panel comes with a couple different connection options - alligator clamps or ring type attachments that can be tightened down onto the terminals with the terminal nuts.  Seems like the ring type would be a more solid connection?  Other ends of the cables have a quick connect to the controller.  I did wonder if the company would retrofit it with the updated controller - I think the panel is otherwise identical to the current one they make.  I have a feeling that will be more complicated than I want.  Does seem like it would be straight forward project for me to do but those might be famous last words.  

The best news for me is that I can set the thing up and it would just top off the battery charge and I don't have to worry about battery damage.  Thanks to both of you for the comments and advice.  
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    @jalars8 I tried looking at the GoPower page but wasn't able to learn much.  If you are saying you have ring terminal cables going to a "quick connect', you are correct, that would be easiest.  The cable would be able to sit outside the battery box, so you would not have to open the box to connect the battery clamps.  Do you know what type of quick connect is at the controller?  Is it a cable or a connector?
    If you have the basic parts: solar panel and controller.  And the basic cables: cable from panel to controller, and then controller to battery, that is all you need.  Connect the controller to the battery first, and then connect the panel to the controller.  Show us some photos if you want. Let us know if you need help with the mulitmeter and how to monitor the battery state of charge.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,011
    I have the exact same 80 watt Go Power suitcase that you have.  I used in on my old trailer but have not used it on our 400.  I simple have a different solar set up now, not because the go power is no good.  I've had this panel for probably 8-9 years and it is actually a very stout and good solar kit. 

Even though the controller is fairly basic it works just fine.  On my old trailer the battery was in a tongue box.  I believe that is where it is on the 320 as well.  I connected the ring terminal cable to the battery and with the anderson quick connection you can just leave that cable on permanently.  Simply connect and disconnect the panel as needed. 

The anderson connectors are awesome and I wish more panels, and general electrical connections, would go back to using them.  They are a super solid connection and won't come loose.  So once you attach the ring connector section of your cable to the battery you can then connect the panel to that and forget about it.  The controller on the panel will take care of everything for you.  Just make sure you adjust the pane to get optimal sun exposure. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado