Options

Tab 400 purchase

Good morning to the Tab group. My wife and I are looking at a Tab 400 and I am torn between getting one from the lot or ordering one. We really don't need the bunk setup and so far the ones on the lot (2023 and 2024 models) have the bunks. I was thinking if I order one, attempt to negotiate with the dealer for say 15% - 20% over invoice since they won't have to floorplan it, etc. 

Or would it be better to work the price on dealer inventory stock and maybe just remove the bunk. 

Some dealers are showing sale prices of ~$37K for 2023 and ~$40k for 2024. I was thinking maybe try for another 10% - 20% off those or is that a bit aggressive?

On another note, everything we have looked at so far is not that appealing. I did find one (snoozy camper) that on the surface was interesting with the shape and what components they used. 

Thanks and we look forward to your responses. We are planning a trip next year to AK to visit our son, so should be an adventure.

2023 Tab 400 BD
2023 Ram 1500 crew cab

Comments

• Options
    BaileyBailey Member Posts: 37
    Not sure if this is too late, the 2024 400s have 2 floor plans, one w a bunk, one without. Good luck, safe travels.
    2024 Tab 400 Boondock, Oregon
  • Options
    sportcoupesportcoupe Member Posts: 28
    Just to compare discounts available now. Two weeks ago I just bought a 2023 Tab 320 BD. MSRP was $38,757. To clear the 2023's, dealer had it on sale for $25,995. I offered $23k. They countered with $23,500. I bought it. :) 

Don't think about being aggressive. You are helping them clear the 2023's. That's their goal. Make your low offer and see what they do. 
    2023 T@B 320 S BD,
    TV: 2023 Ford Bronco 2.7L Wildtrak 4x4, Tow Package, Ford Brake Controller
    Georgia
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,190
    There’s no such thing as being too aggressive when dealing with dealers. They’re in it to make a profit. You’re in it to get the best deal possible. They know this. 

Always lowball but be realistic about it. 20% below msrp in a normal market is typical. And we’re not in typical times. These guys have a ton of inventory they need to move. And from what I hear they’re pretty desperate to do it.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    You never have anything to loose by being too aggressive with your offer.  The mark up on travel trailers is quite large 30% or higher.  Also it never hurts to ask for the invoice sheet on the specific trailer from the manufacturer.  The worse they can say is no.   When I bought our 400 I told them I'd like to see it so we could negotiate on fair level grounds and come up with a deal where both sides were happy.  The sales manager told his salesman not to show me the invoice sheet so I had to negotiate pretty hard.  Funny thing is that during the negotiation the salesman emailed the invoice to his manager but I was accidentally left on the email list so I got to see it too.  The manager was not too happy about that.  However I found out that I ended up getting a good deal on it! 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    runlinerunline Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2021 T@B 400 and wish I had the bunks (2 young kiddos) if you end up buying the one with bunks and its possible to retrofit mine with the bunk set up, I would be more than happy to buy them, if that is even possible to swap and if you're anywhere near Northern California :), but I agree as many have said, be very aggressive on your offer!
    SF Bay Area, CA, 2021 T@B 400 BD
  • Options
    den1jenden1jen Member Posts: 15
    Been out for a while. We ended up getting the 400 and one of my tasks is to reconfigure the bunk setup (i.e. - remove it). Runline, not sure we are going to be around CA anytime soon.

What struck me during negotiations, their pricing was based on getting a loan and after we agreed on OTD price and I said we would pay cash several tried to back pedal and add $$ since they were incentivized to push loans. 

I just smiled and said either we do it at agreed price or I walk, so except for the dealer we finally bought it from we walked..... 

@bergger I found your post regarding the invoice and used it as the basis.... Oh, I have been looking at Titans, how do you like it and what mileage do you get towing, and how does it tow? I am looking to upgrade from my 09 Chevy and I keep coming back to Titans (like the simplicity of the v8 with no addl fuel savings crap on it). 

I tend to keep vehicles so not worried about Nissan dropping Titans in 24. 

@manyman297, do believe car dealers are getting desperate as well these days

Thanks again!
    2023 Tab 400 BD
    2023 Ram 1500 crew cab
  • Options
    @den1jen I sent you a message reference my experience with the Titan so check your inbox.  In short it is the best truck I've ever owned. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,190
    Great to hear you got the financed deal using cash. When we purchased I tried to get a discount by financing (just get the loan and pay it off in a month) but nobody offered a cheaper price so we paid cash. Sounds like they’re incentivizing loans again. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    den1jenden1jen Member Posts: 15
    Yes and saw that the other day for truck, the price was for finance deal. 
    2023 Tab 400 BD
    2023 Ram 1500 crew cab
  • Options
    TimberjackTimberjack Member Posts: 4
    @berger I'd love to see/hear what you learned from the invoice you reference in your post.
  • Options
    @Timberjack when we bought our 2021 400 the invoice showed that the unit cost the dealer $26,189.  It also showed the dealers minimum advertised price, or MAP price, of 37,974.  That's more than a 40% increase over the cost to the dealer.  Not sure what actual costs are today but I'm sure the mark ups are still similar.  We negotiated the price to $30k not including tax.  I felt good about what we paid and they still made about 12-14% profit.  I let them know that they had a happy customer and they still made money.  I can not overstate to work dealers very hard and be in control of your purchase.  Do not let them be in control of it.   Shop around, play dealers against each other, do not be afraid to walk away, even during negotiations.   Ask to see the invoice they got from NuCamp.  If they refuse tell them you're leaving.  Seeing the invoice will allow both sides to have a fair starting point for negotiations.   
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    CampsiteGalCampsiteGal Member Posts: 17
    I purchased a used 2022 T@b 400 BD because I had the future upgradability to lithium and a better floor material but no bunk. I like the extra space with the rounded table top.By buying used from an Apache dealer, I was able to get them to include greasing the bearings, checking the spare and caulking, and switching out the Alde fluid. I was also looking at purchasing from a private owner 4 hours away for a similar unit. Since I was also shopping for a tow vehicle, the nearby dealer was an obvious choice as they delivered for free into my storage space. It established a relationship - and a few months later when the door wouldn't lock tight, they fixed for free. The unit has been problem free except that one thing. An option to consider then, is a used 2022 or 23.  You will love the 400!!
    2022 T@B 400 BD, the T@bacabana
    TV: 2017 Chevy Tahoe