Options

Water in glycol

NagleNagle Member Posts: 2
Hello, I just picked up a 2014 t@b max with wet bath. We got it home and discovered that someone had put water in the glycol reservoir. Is there a way to drain the glycol system? I’m afraid that it might hurt the system. We live in Michigan, so it gets cold. 

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    There is a way to drain Glycol, on the driver side, to the rear of the wheel, you will notice a tube with a clamp and a plug. You have to release the clamp and pull the plug. I am not sure about the process of refilling with Glycol but I am sure there are plenty of experts here that can provide instructions.
    However, I am curious how do you know there is water in the Glycol reservoir? If in fact there is water in the reservoir I am afraid you may have a breach in the boiler, as I just discovered I have in mine, ie: there is a hole between the Glycol tube and the water jacket in the boiler. In my case when I turned on the water pump the water pressure was pushing the water into the Glycol tube and into the reservoir. A way to test it is to pump out the reservoir, turn on the water pump and see if the reservoir is filling-up again. Good luck
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    NagleNagle Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your help. I noticed that the reservoir looked a very clear in color. So I stuck a piece of paper down and pulled it out to find that it was totally clear. 
    Hopefully camping world can fix the problem!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    edited September 2023
    Be careful with any tech that may not be familiar with the Alde and all the ins and outs of the system. 
    A previous owner may have simply filled the reservoir with water (hopefully distilled water) and used the Alde that way. 
    Where did you buy the trailer from?  Can you discuss this with the previous owner to find out when and with what this Alde was filled with?
    We have  ton of know-how about the Alde and how the glycol should be replaced.  Look over this DIY glycol thread, and note the equipment needed to correctly change the glycol or flush the system.  If the "Camping World" techs don't have an "Alde pump" or don't know what you are talking about...find somewhere else.  Your "water instead of glycol" situation could have been the result of some other RV tech who thought they knew how to "change the glycol" and just decided that...water is ok!
    PS: there are a couple of threads in this group where different liquids were discussed as "transfer fluid".
    Find the thread here on "DIY Glycol Exchange" and look it over and have an idea of what to discuss with whoever you find to do this exchange.  We have heard many stories of inept technicians charging outrageous prices for this service, and then...doing it wrong.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    And, in this "Manuals" page, there is a comprehensive 2014 "manual" that was written by some dedicated owners several years ago.  A great source of info. Find the thread from "Breakaway".
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi