Options

Thanks. I got my water pump working!

Prepping for our recent 4 night camping trip, from which we just returned, I filled my water fresh water tank and did something unknown to me that resulted in no water through any faucets.   The pump made a much softer sound, much like a hum, but no water.   I studied multiple forum posts on the subject and went through some trouble shooting strategies to no avail.   We camped and used the “Chaplin Multi-Purpose Sprayer”, recommended by Paul Thomas for various different cleaning needs and filled a 2.5 gallon container as needed.   On our return, now relaxed and motivated by the prices of having an RV service team work on it, I revisited the water pump issue.   I used the above mentioned sprayer to fill the intake hose of the pump with water, turned it on and saw the exhaust hose discharge a few ounces of water.   Encouraged I refilled the intake hose, put my thumb over the other side to minimize draining of the hose and re-connected it to the fresh water inlet.   The water pump now worked!  Apparently, the pump needed to be primed.   I think I initially overfilled the tank, including getting water into the air vent to the fresh water tank and after that the pump floundered as described above; I did clear out the water from the vent before leaving but that did not help.   I just want to thank those on the forum who posted here about how to troubleshoot a non-working water pump.  Special thanks to Paul Thomas—in addition to the multi meter he has repeatedly recommended I am also now using the Chaplin multi-purpose sprayer for water saving strategies and using it in perhaps a new way—a simple way of priming the pump!
2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
Wisconsin