Options

Looking to Streamline Solar System

I've been dancing around upgrading our original AGM in our 2018 Tab 400 for a while. I think I am finally ready to commit to lithium and am looking at 2 - 100ah Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. I was eyeing the Bluetooth Renogy 200 ah battery for a while, but think I might get two of these: https://www.litime.com/products/litime-12v-100ah-tm-deep-cycle-lifepo4-battery-for-trolling-motors?ref=XBIA62RFcalHns

Here is my system - 200watts of solar into a Rover MPPT Controller with the Renogy BT1 bluetooth module. Then I have 100 watt suitcase into the Renogy Wanderer PWM with the BT2 bluetooth module (that I think finally died). Both charge controllers have an inline fuse and connect directly to the battery. They also have an inline fuse from the positive of the panel into the controller. 

How can I streamline this better? I was reading maybe a cutoff switch from the battery to the panels or controllers to isolate the panels from the battery. What about a buss bar or shunt?

I have noticed that sometimes I need to "reset" the panels by disconnecting everything from the charge controller and reconnected when switching from shore power to battery... It is super not ideal. Also when you are short term and long term storing do you disconnect your panels? 

2018 T@B 400
2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited September 2023
    I don't think I've streamlined it but this might help...
    I switched my 2021 320S to two 100AH lithiums (Enjoybot). I left the original cut off switch in place and added a cut off switch at the batteries (which I installed inside) to completely disconnect them from everything but the Victron Smart Charger I installed. I don't use the T@Bs original WFCO controller for charging the batteries when on shore power. I just switch the batteries out of the T@Bs circuit and let the smart charger charge them if needed.

I put my Renogy controller for my portable solar on a cut off switch also. The original roof panel with it's Victron controller is still wired as it was originally so if I turn off the original battery switch the roof panel can still charge the battery. I monitor the batteries with a Renogy shunt/monitor (Necessary). Each battery is on it's own 50A breaker/switch so I can remove either one if necessary for whatever reason. They both are attached to buss bars which makes for a cleaner installation.

I ran on batteries with no shore power all this season and even after six days of steady rain the lowest they got down to was 40%.

I sometimes have to shut off the roof solar with the phone app for a minute to get the Renogy controller out of float to also start charging the batteries at the same time. When I'm home I just switch the batteries out of the circuit.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks @SLJ! Yeah I think some switches would be helpful! Going to dig into your diagram a bit more! How are you “switching off” with the app to get it to connect? 
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    In the Victron controller app go to "Battery" in the settings and there's an off/on option.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York