Options

Packing videos?

CandJBCandJB Member Posts: 16
I’m totally new to RV camping and just purchased a T&B 320 Boondock. I’ve seen a lot of helpful videos on everything from Walk Arounds, campsite set up, storage ideas, and mods. 
Are there any videos that show how people actually pack things up and stow things before they head down the road?

I haven’t picked mine up yet, so I’m sure I’ll be posting more to this forum.  Looks like a great resource and a lot of helpful people.
2023 T@B 320-S Boondock; 2019 Subaru Outback

Comments

• Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 266
    @CandJB.  I'm not sure about any previous posts, but packing is an art/science that is very challenging with a small camper.  I'm on my 4th year with my 320S and I'm still refining the process.  Here are a few things that I have learned and applied.  I am very fussy about my camper, so I try to store things carefully and in a way to minimize any chance of damaging it.  

-We mainly use the rear cabinets for clothes and towels.  The sloped back of the rear cabinets make it a challenge to fill them completely...without having everything fall out every time they are opened.  I cut the back off some plastic bins to match the slope which helps a lot.  I saw this suggestion on a YouTube video from another T@bber (see photo below).
    -We use the large space under the passenger seat for items that may be needed...but not used often (various tools, rope, miscellaneous hardware, collapsible bucket, hammocks, etc.).
    -We keep cooking utensils and cutlery in the drawer beneath the refrigerator.  This make it easy to access from outside of the camper.  I'm a bit of a neat freak and walking in and out of the camper can track in a lot of dirt.  
    -The cabinets under the sink are packed pretty well with pots, pans, plates, glasses, etc.  I have some small stainless steel racks to provide multiple levels of storage. 
    -I also store cleaning supplies and any liquids in the uppermost cabinet directly under the sink.  I use a plastic bin for these items, placed right beneath the sink.  The bin will hopefully catch any errant drips from the liquid bottles and any 'drips' that might develop from the sink plumbing.  
    -The storage area under the rear seats can hold a lot...but can be difficult to access.  We store bedding (blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, etc.) in this area, being careful not to block the flow of air across the rear heat convector.  I am contemplating a modification that I have seen on this forum that will allow the bottom cushions to be lifted from the front, providing much easier access to these areas.
    -The long, narrow cabinet at the very back is used for phone chargers, books, thin sheets, and other items that we mainly need at night (with the camper in 'sleep' mode). 
    -We rarely camp with shore power, so the microwave becomes a good place to carry dry food items like bread, cookies, etc. 
    -I use a hanging rack over the bathroom door which provides quick, easy access to commonly used items like dish towels, cups, flashlights, etc. (second photo).
    -The cubbies and small cabinets around the upper perimeter hold things that we use a lot or want for quick access like flashlights, matches, first aid kit, bluetooth speaker, screwdriver, level, etc. 
    -I am very careful to make sure items are stored in all of these areas carefully, so as not to scuff and scratch the inside of the cabinets or other surfaces when traveling.  I wrap my pots and pans in a cloth or plastic tablecloth to cover any sharp edges.  I also line the bottom of all of the cabinets with soft, non-skid shelf liners.  
    -I have a tall, collapsible bin that is set on the floor of the bathroom when traveling.  I pack any loose items in this bin that would otherwise get tossed around the camper in transit. 
    -Luckily, I have a full size F-150 as my tow vehicle.  That holds all of my larger camping gear (cooler, canopy, grill, etc.  I keep all of those items packed up and, to the extent possible, in plastic bins for easy loading ans unloading.  

Sorry for the long narrative....I hope this gives you some things to think about.  Good luck!

• Options
    CandJBCandJB Member Posts: 16
    Don’t apologize for the length of your response, it was great! Thank you!!

I’ve seen a lot of pictures of people at their campsites using some sort of out door rug and camp chairs. I was thinking about using the roof rack for a rug and maybe a few light things, and trying to secure the camp chairs in the middle between the cushions. They’re the large kind with a fold out side table, so they don’t collapse into something that fits in a cover that’s easier to stow.

Great ideas. I’ve also been looking at the back cushion mod, but not going to do anything like that yet, especially since I’ve not even had my maiden voyage yet… haha
    2023 T@B 320-S Boondock; 2019 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited October 2023
    Hi,

For our clothes , we use his/her 3 drawer bins inside the rear seat doors of the tow vehicle.  We have taken a bunch of multi month trips and this works well for us.  The only clothes in the TAB are what we need for the next day. The other thing that has been very valuable is a car top carrier.  We keep our chairs, tent, small tables, outdoor rug and other misc. items.  Is very good when you have to pack wet items such as an outdoor rug or tent.  Best wishes..
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland