Options

Battery / inverter upgrade

VonAustriaVonAustria Member Posts: 12
edited November 2023 in Introductions
Camper is a new-to-me adventure and trying to figure it all out and this forum is such a great tool to use. It’s fantastic. Currently trying yo understand how to integrate my newly purchased 200 amp lithium battery and 2000 watt inverter into the existing standard system. I plan to use my t@b to camp in the boondocks. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I currently have the standard lead acid battery installed. Thanks. 
2022 320S Boondock - 2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Off-road 

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Welcome to the TaB Family.

What year and model is your trailer?

You should look at adding the trailer information to your User Signature.
    Click your username, on right side of new screen will be a small 'user profile' link
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    2022 T@B 320 Boondock version.
  • Options
    otr_320otr_320 Member Posts: 71
    edited November 2023
    There are a number of ways you can install lifepo4 batteries and an inverter (or inverter/charger) in a 320. Here's a recent thread that may provide some helpful perspective (https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/17897/replacing-agm-with-lithium-in-2021-tab320-bd)@Yoshi_TAB took the time to post some excellent wiring pictorials.  These may prove helpful when it comes time to reroute/replace some of the undersized OEM wiring.

Tip: suggest installing cables/wires that are large enough to prevent excessive voltage drop and heat---especially if you have plans to power your microwave and/or Air8 a/c unit (and want to maximize charge current).  Would not use the ampacity rating alone to size cables/wires.  Cables/wires should be sized based on maximum current, voltage, and *length* of the cable/wire run.
  • Options
    I was able to fit the battery in the px side. The inverter is mounted vertically next to the a/c unit. Next is obtaining a couple of fuses and a buss bar and get the wiring figured out. Also get the control panels mounted. Thank you MuttonChops for the links and others who have shared their expertise. I’m starting to understand the basic philosophy behind camper electrical systems. One thing I don’t understand is why Nucamp changes the wire colors when going from point A to point B. 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    edited November 2023
    Hi,

Here are some links how I did it if you have not seen them  and may be helpful.   I'm sure you know, but sizing the inverter fuse protection and wire sizing is most important.  You first size the fuse based on your inverter capacity and then the wiring based on the size of the fuse and wire round trip distance run.  I used a 225A class T fuse and 2/0 AWG wire for a 2000W inverter. There are a bunch of good papers and calculators out there for sizing. Make sure you check a couple of sources as some are not consistant.    

This link describes at the bottom of the post how I moved the batteries inside without cutting any holes in rig.
    Replacing AGM with lithium in 2021 tab320 BD (vanillacommunity.com)

This link show my install with diagram.  Start at the back as it long and I went through a couple of revisions.  
    2021 320 Lithium and Inverter Install (Complete) (vanillacommunity.com)

Ha, I agree with the wire coloring...sometimes the color changes for the the device from the starting point to the end (if they are spliced).  Out of curiosity, I looked into the wiring requirment codes for the RV industry and there are none..it's the "wild west".  When you look up the codes, nothing is listed for RV vehicles.

Good luck with your project and I'm happy to answer questions based on my experience.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland