Options

2023 Tab 400 Alde 3020 HE Propane Heat Performance

This is the second in a series of tests I'm running to help predict heating requirements for some cold ( cool) weather camping in the Tab 400 and trying to determine the most efficient and economical method. For this test I added a second recording Thermo-Hygrometer to plot ambient conditions.

Environment: Tab fully winterized and parked level East/West orientation partial shade, two days mostly clear w/Tab getting about 4 hours sun exposure per day, inside temp at beginning of test brought up to ~67 degrees, refrigerator off, unoccupied, kitchen window in vented lock position, bath room door cracked open. bath room vent open.

Tools: Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer H5179
           AP Products 024-1001 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator
           Dr.meter Fish Scale - PS01

Propane: Tank full @ 36.24 lbs., tank tare weight @ 16.6 lbs, Mopeka sensor reading @ 100%

Alde Settings: Propane heat. Thermostat @ 62 degrees. Night mode set - 23:00 to 06:00 @ 52 degrees

Test time/duration: 10:30 AM Day 1 to 10:30 AM Day 3, 48 hours.

Results:

Propane usage first 24 hours (weighed) - 3.20 lbs. Mopeka sensor reported 77%

Propane usage second 24 hours (weighed) - 3.98 lbs. Mopeka sensor reported 57%

Total propane usage for test (weighed) - 7.18 lbs. Mopeka sensor reported 43% usage ~8.6 lbs

Observations:

The Alde kept the Tab very comfortable with even, quiet heat. Sun exposure makes a huge difference in keeping the Tab warm and the Tab sheds heat quickly! ( about 10 degrees over two hours @ 32 degrees ) It did use a bit more propane than I predicted from the first 1K electric test. Of course, a good bit of propane btu's blow out the side exhaust. It would be wise to carry an extra propane tank if planning on cold weather boondocking more than a couple of days! The Mopeka sensor is an excellent tool for keeping an eye on propane usage, but I would still carry a scale.

Upcoming tests will include 2K electric test,  1K w/propane prioritization tests, 2K w/propane prioritization tests and my favorite boondocking method - Tab plugged into my F150 Powerboost w/7.2kW on board generator. I intend to conclude with a fun "chicken coop" test - a 1K space heater programmed to come on @ ~38 degrees and go off @ ~50 degrees.

I hope this helps establish some baselines from which I can expect the Alde system to perform in my Tab 400 and I'm super curious if these results fall in line with your experience.

Comments