older T@b window latches

I have a 2005 which I have had since 2006.  Over that time a number of the window latches have broken.  Now two more are broken, and I can't remember how to remove them.  Can anyone help me?  Can new type latches replace the old style latches?  Thanks out there?

Comments

• mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I swapped out the old latches with new ones from Little guys.  Just to be safe, I swapped both for any window that  needed a replacement.  I had pulled the old ones apart (can't remember how, now), and they wouldn't consistently work after I tried a fix.  If you want to repair, I can pull out my notes and try to remember how I removed the latches when I tried to fix them.  Check with LG, as I recall, they weren't expensive.  I ended up buying six and replacing all of them (they were all getting finicky).  
  • T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    One of ours broke on our big trip to the Arctic and I'd like to replace it if possible. They look sealed - but if there is a way to replace it would be awesome!

mash2 said:
    I swapped out the old latches with new ones from Little guys.  Just to be safe, I swapped both for any window that  needed a replacement.  I had pulled the old ones apart (can't remember how, now), and they wouldn't consistently work after I tried a fix.  If you want to repair, I can pull out my notes and try to remember how I removed the latches when I tried to fix them.  Check with LG, as I recall, they weren't expensive.  I ended up buying six and replacing all of them (they were all getting finicky).  

2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
    Call LG and ask for the latches... they'll let you know the price.
  • T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    mash2 said:
    Call LG and ask for the latches... they'll let you know the price.
    Are you referring to the catch or the latch (the one attached to the window that seem like the cap/retaining end is sealed inside the double layered plexiglass windows pane?
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
    The one that slides up and down with three clicks that attaches to either side of the the window and the body...the entire assembly.
  • JanetJanet Member Posts: 5
    I was referring to the catch, I guess.. the ones at the bottom of the window.  But the other ones, on the side of the window could use replacing too, since they are broken as well.  These plastic "latches" seem to be vulnerable to sunlight, and the plastic tabs that actually slide into the two-position slots on the sill, break off.  The new style are attached to the window with screws, but the old style don't have screws.  The process for removing them is mysterious.  Could anyone who has changed theirs out remind me of how to get the broken ones off.  Someone else must have done this... I've gone through at least 10 broken latches.  
    Just went and looked.  The black catches turn to hold the window down, right?  If you look at these, there is a small hole in the black catch (It is present on both of the black turning catches.  Insert something into the holes and they release the catches.  They slide parallel to the window to remove.   I replaced the metal latching bar that holds the windows open and it had the black latches attached.  I stuck a precision screwdriver (as I recall) into the small hole and then slid the black latch out and replaced the entire assembly (bar that slides to hold open the window and the catch).  I know the side ones work (the assembly included the slider bar and the catch.  

I didn't replace the bottom ones, since mine were not broke, so I can't confirm whether the bottom catch is compatible, just the side catch assembly.  

Do me a favor, look closely at the catch and see if you have the small hole...if so, insert something that will allow you to push in.   Push in and then slide the catch parallel to the window.  I should slide along the holding bracket attached to the window and come off.  It's safe to do... you can reattach by sliding the catch back in and it will lock itself.  The parts that are in the double pane window are the holding bracket (holding the actual catch) and should not need to be replaced.

Have I described this well enough?  

Thanks Sandra.  I actually did use a straightened paper clip....(forgot how I depressed it).
  • JanetJanet Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Mash!! and Sandra and others.  Got the job done, thanks to you.  This forum is great.

• curtismcurtism Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if anybody is monitoring this post in longer but I'm having the same issue.  Hoping someone can help! Please see my post here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13036/2006-t-b-windows-latches#latest