Options

110v and Alde

Resa_tabResa_tab Member Posts: 7
Tab 400 2022- I bought a 110v adapter that will allow me to connect 110v extension cord to the 30amp male plug on the side of the camper. My goal was to use the lights and mess around tv. I have not tried it yet. My question to y’all is am I able to use the Aldi heat with 110v if I have a 20 amp extension cord (I think the Aldi is 16 amps)?  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    The "Alde" has two electrical elements. 1KW and 2KW is what they are called on the menu. Each of them are 7.9 amps each.  So, the 1KW setting will use 7.9 amps, and the 2KW setting will use 15.8 amps.  So, you have the option of using a lower amount of amps (7.9) if you want.
    The important thing is: what circuit are you plugging into?  If that circuit is only rated at 15 amps, the Alde on the 2KW setting may trip the breaker of the circuit.  Most likely, you have a 20 amp circuit...but you really need to know. 
    Even on a 20 amp circuit, using the Alde on the 2KW setting will bring you close to that circuit limit, also.  It will work, but anything else you want to use on shore power may need to be watched.  Lights and TV will be ok, but cranking on the microwave with the Alde on the 2KW setting will have you searching for the breaker to reset it.

Can you tell us what 'extension cords" and adapters you are using?  Regular RV power cords?  Or something else? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    The circuit will be 15 amps, dedicated, so no other power drains.  I will be sure to use the 1kw setting. Thanks for that. 

Adapter:
    CircleCord 30 Amp to 15 Amp 110 Volt RV Adapter Cord with Locking Connector, NEMA 5-15P Male to L5-30R Twist Lock Female, Heavy Duty STW 10 Gauge for RV Trailer Camper, ETL Listed https://a.co/d/2bcolai

extension cord is similar to this:

Yellow Jacket 2991 10/3 Extra Heavy-Duty 20-Amp Premium SJTW Contractor Extension Cord with Lighted T-Blade Plug; 50-Foot All Copper Wire Extension Cord; 20 Amps; 125 Volts; 2500 Watts

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    Ok, sounds like you have things worked out.  Watch to make sure the extension cord doesn't get hot with the Alde running, just to be sure. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 272
    Put the Alde solely on propane; you’ll use a minimum of electricity (but you will burn through the gas quicker).
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Resa_tab said:
    The circuit will be 15 amps, dedicated . . .
    extension cord is similar to this:
    . . . Yellow Jacket 2991 10/3 Extra Heavy-Duty 20-Amp Premium
    As @pthomas745 noted . . . sounds like you have things well under control. :)
    I use a real Yellow Jacket 20-Amp 100-foot extension cord connected to the TaB's 30-Amp shore power cord and driven by an ancient (1950's)  Fuse Panel from the detached garage . . .

Last winter while doing 'internal to cabin' repairs I had the Alde running at 1kW plus had a circulation 120VAC Fan running 24/7 for two months. Overnight lows were near zero, days around freezing.  All was well, Alde ran and ran, fuse never blew
    . . . . but gosh my Electric Bills for those months were HUGE.

Side Note:  Alde on 1kW was able to keep cabin above freezing the whole time based
                      on a stand alone min/max recording thermometer

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    MuttonChops said:
    . . .  driven by an ancient (1950's)  Fuse Panel . . .

Ouch 'ancient', but I'm not ancient . .
    . . technology and humans must have far different "relevant timescales" . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    These comments are spot on. I appreciate it. 

New question:  I bought the camper in March of this year and have camped where I’ve had shore power.  I have 2 agm batteries. If nothing else is on and the outside temp hovers around 25 at night, will the two batteries run the Aldi for 8 hrs?   I’ll be testing this myself, but I’m just curious if anyone would like to add their personal experiences. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    @Resa_tab - if unplugged from shorepower the Alde would need to use propane to heat the cabin.  The battery draw to support the Alde during propane use is minimal (control panel and Alde circuit board).  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    Yes as @Sharon_is_SAM said, the Alde can not run on electric if it is not plugged into shore power.  Your AGM batteries will supply the necessary 12v power to the Alde to run the electronics and the circulation pumps.  As long as your batteries are in good shape you'll be just fine running the heat on propane.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado