Options

Full Size Spare vs. Standard - 320 S

EasternJLEasternJL Member Posts: 33
Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I'm torn - between the boonedock spare or the standard 14" that comes with the trailer.  I like the idea of the included spare being tucked away under the back of the trailer (even with the complaints of getting it back up there some day).  But I also like the idea of a spare that matches the other tires.  Realistically, if you have a problem, you'll get your full size tire fixed sooner rather than later and not use the spare much.  But if you are out on the road and there's not too many options for a tire fix, having a real spare is nice.  Etc., Etc.  Thoughts?   BTW, I'm about to put money down on one so I'm trying to make decisions.... 
2024 Tab320 S - Black Canyon - "C-ThreeTwoO"
Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• Options
    DaveAnnaDaveAnna Member Posts: 41
    We have 2021 320BD. The BD spare won’t fit in the same holder. Ours was up front. We opted for the smaller spare and removed the entire mechanism. We just put the spare in the back of the pickup. Mounted genset up front so tongue weight stayed good. Also put Michelin LT on the trailer, don’t trust the ST tires
  • Options
    EasternJLEasternJL Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for the input.  I hear you on the Michelin tires.  That might be worth considering.  The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the standard spare (in the back).  Then I'm not having to figure out where to put the BD spare or deal with the weight on the tongue, etc. 
    2024 Tab320 S - Black Canyon - "C-ThreeTwoO"
    Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    We have a 2021 320BD with the full-sized spare and matching rim mounted on the front of the tub. I like having the matching spare. We had a flat while boondocking for 2 weeks. It was nice to have the matching spare to put on. We were a couple of hours from the nearest town with some rutted rocky roads to get there. I could have done it with a 14” spare but it was nice just to slap the matching spare on and be good to go. Plus I didn’t have to swap back once I got the flat fixed. I like the ST-rated tires and will probably stick w those when it’s time to replace the current ones. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho