Options

Advice on mounting a rear camera onto the galley door of a 2024 320 CS-S

StevenJStevenJ Member Posts: 13
edited January 18 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hello everyone!
I am planning on mounting a wireless rear camera onto my CS-S to use for rear viewing while driving.  I have purchased an Auto-Vox Solar 4 and am looking for advice on mounting location.  I am nervous about mounting the camera on the main roof and prefer not to drill holes into there.  The kit comes with a plastic mounting plate and (4) 1/2" self tapping screws.  I was thinking that mounting this at the very top of the rear galley door would be the best place as it seems like the structure of the door is fairly robust.  The threads of the screws are fairly shallow as well.  
Would you recommend using a rubber gasket behind the plastic plate?  Or a sealant?  Or both?  
I appreciate any advice you may have.  
Thanks!
2024 T@B 320 CS-S  "Arvey 2"
2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport "Lunar Taco"
Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    I did mount mine on the roof and have been VERY happy with it as there already is power to the fan to tie into,  ART

2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Did you just use the mounting bracket and provided screws or did you also use sealant or a gasket?
    Chapel Hill, NC
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    Steven, I just looked up your camera and it is a little larger than what I did. I have the Garmin GPS and it allows me to add cameras more than one if I need to. I sure like having it up on the roof and I made a sun glare piece to stop the sun from directly hitting the lens. Good luck with whatever you do, Art 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Thanks Art.  I actually wound up fabricating a bracket out of aluminum.  I really didn't want to put any fastener into the skin of my new trailer especially on a new electrical devices with still unknown to me reliability.  I made the bracket so that I can use the aluminum bars that hold down the grey membrane over the kitchen hatch door hinge.  This way I don't have to do any drilling and I know that I am going to get a good attachment point.  
    Chapel Hill, NC
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    I got a camera that mounted to the license plate bracket and I tapped into the power for the license plate light. 
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    I had thought about that but I wound up fabricating an aluminum bracket that allows the camera to mount above the door hinge.  I was worried about glare from headlights behind me.
    Chapel Hill, NC