Options

Renogy lithium batteries

We have a late 2022 T@B 400 Boondock and the AGM batteries have apparently failed (no longer fully recharge; voltage quickly drops).  I am considering upgrading to two 100AH lithium phosphate batteries.  I am considering either Battle Born or Renogy and there is a considerable difference in cost and the Renogy is slightly smaller.  Both appear to have low temperature protection, BMS, and better cells than the cheap prism cell options on Amazon.  Does anyone have any experience with the Renogy?   Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I replaced my AGMs with two Battle Born 100's in size GC2, which is the same size as the 400's original AGMs were. Yes, they're more expensive, but they're made in the USA. I think Renogy lithiums are from Thailand. Not a show-stopper, but it was important to me at the time a year ago. The price of the Renogys has come down in price considerably more this year, so it really is a tougher decision now for someone starting out like yourself. I know that BB uses quality parts in their batteries, so I think they'd still be my choice. Good luck. Either way, I'm sure that you'll be happy with the final results.
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    All the cells come from Asia, including Battle Born's. The difference is Battle Born are tested and assembled here. They're great but the most expensive.  
    After watching Will's teardowns I went with EnjoyBots. I boondock and they're built to take bouncing around. They've been flawless and cost a heck of a lot less than most. I couldn't justify spending almost $2,000 for two 100AH batteries when I could get the same power for $550 in a tough package.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    edited February 6
    Battle Born batteries were never made in USA (see SLJ's comment) but used to be assembled in the US and had "Nevada made" on the label. The current batteries are void of these markings. Personally I'm also leery if something is heavily advertised/pushed on Youtube, just look at the number of RVers that are gushing about them (similarly I use GaiaGPS and not On X Offroad which pretty much every off-road channel highlights). The batteries are pretty good from what I've seen but not worth the 2x-3x price, at least to me. I'm good if I can get 50% of the life time for 30% of the price. My $320 battery pulls 1260Wh as I've tested myself. 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 379
    Hi,

The other thing that often drives the cost of a product up (besides components) is customer support/service, quality control at  assembly , product documentation, ability to return a product (often with no questions asked), research to further increase quality/reliability of product.    One may never use such intangible services with a product, but there is a cost for all of that, which,  of course is passed onto the consumer.  Haven't many of us payed more for a NuCamp product for many of these same reasons?  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    Haven't many of us payed more for a NuCamp product for many of these same reasons?  
    I don't think this is a fair comparison. For many of the newer LiFePO4's, quality of build and components are on par with Battle Born. The only place that could be argued is support. Given that a battery should be a simple set-and-forget purchase compared to the complexity a trailer, battery support is far less important. That along with the quality of nuCamp construction compared to cheaper offerings is not even close in my opinion.

Most of us are willing to pay more for the additional support and a product with American ties, but not at 2-4 time the amount. Battle Born needs to rethink their business plan. They no longer have the edge over the competition that they once had.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 113
    DonF said:
    We have a late 2022 T@B 400 Boondock and the AGM batteries have apparently failed (no longer fully recharge; voltage quickly drops).  I am considering upgrading to two 100AH lithium phosphate batteries.  I am considering either Battle Born or Renogy and there is a considerable difference in cost and the Renogy is slightly smaller.  Both appear to have low temperature protection, BMS, and better cells than the cheap prism cell options on Amazon.  Does anyone have any experience with the Renogy?   Thank you.
    We upgraded our previous T@B (a 320) with Renogy and had no issues. Our 400 came with a Battle Born, so we added more of the same to get the total capacity we wanted. If you decide to go the Battle Born route wait until they have one of their frequent flash sales to save some coin. We saved several hundred per battery by tracking price on their web site.
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun