Options

CS or S

I am considering buying a T@B CS-S. Inside versus outside kitchen, which is the better selling model? I hope to take my dogs with me and think I would like the extra room inside. Outside kitchen appears to have more counter space. Any thoughts? Can the refrigerator be turned on and used while traveling? I am within two hours of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park and would like to be able to use to cool food before arriving to campsite. Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    We went back and forth between the CSS and the S model for a month. Finally ended up with the CSS.  We really are glad.  We like the extra sitting area up front.  Also like the bigger galley in the back.  The fridge runs on 12Volts and can be used while driving.  On a recent 10 day trip where we knew we would have power every night we used the refrigerator the whole trip and it worked out great.  However it is a battery hog when you do not have electricity available.  It draws 4.5 amps and runs most of the time when hot or when the back is closed up.  that will drain a battery pretty fast.  The S does have a propane fridge so in that regard might be better.  We would not use it as we prefer to live outside most of the time.  If the weather is really bad we can use a small stove on the table inside with proper ventilation. It works for us.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Can't say I've noticed one selling better than the other based of forum traffic/discussions. Lots of threads on the pros/cons of each. Seems mostly personal preference. For me, having the option of cooking inside makes me happy every time it rains.
  • Options
    Pepsi22Pepsi22 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the input. It really is personal preference, just wanted to make sure I was not overlooking anything. Have been leaning towards the CS-S just because, as a vegetarian, I would juice and prep enough for three days so cooking would not be the top priority once I get there. Want to spend more time hiking. Have really enjoyed reading this forum, helped to answer a lot of my questions.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    According to Little Guy, more S models are sold as compared to CS-S models. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    So Pepsi - if cooking isn't an issue, wouldn't you want the extra room inside? The CS model significantly reduces the bed size. (I'm veggie too but like hot water for coffee etc.)
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    If you like juicing, they now have an option for a built in blender.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    OzT@bOzT@b Member Posts: 39
    Now that's getting more fancy than the kitchen in my house.
  • Options
    TnMtnCmperTnMtnCmper Member Posts: 7
    I am 6ft 2in tall and the larger bed made it an easy choice..different strokes for different folks.  
    Gordon and Ivy... 2016 T@b S-Max... East Tennessee
  • Options
    Pepsi22Pepsi22 Member Posts: 23
    @bgualtieri - I will have my dogs with me and like the extra bench seat inside. I use an Omega Juicer and it needs counter space. Also, will use for tailgating and local kayaking trips with friends so the outside kitchen will be fun. Just won't use as much during my one night, overnight trips to The Smokies and other close venues. Looking forward to picking up this week!
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Sounds like you made a great choice -- as TnMtn said, different strokes! That's the nice thing about T@bs - we can get just what we want and not have to haul around a big rig with more than what we need. It's all good.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I've enjoyed the indoor shower, and the toilet. Also, we can cook indoors or outdoors on our old camp stove.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    We didn't want the bathroom issues or the indoor cooking, so we went with the CS.  Just don't want the porta-potty aroma while we're sleeping.

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Obviously, you have never owned an RV with black holding tank.  The toilet retains a small amount water in the bowl, which works the same way a trap designed in a normal toilet works.  There is no odor, unless you keep the flush valve, open for a period of time.  

We own a S model, for the larger indoor bed, bathroom facilities and indoor cooking.  I always wondered what the CS model owners would do for cooking on windy cool weather 30 degrees, 4 inches of snow on the ground day.  Which we experienced last year, four days in a row.

Also, great not having to run out in the middle of the night to the campground facilities.

• Options
    I bought my T@B S because I spent last winter in Arizona in a 5x10 Silver Shadow without a bathroom.  Sure I had the privy tent or the campground facilities, but it seemed that the coyotes seemed to be in the area when I needed to leave the SS in the middle of the night to use the facilities.  So, now I don't care if the coyotes are around the T@B at night, I can take care of business and not even care about the wildlife!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - The coyotes are more afraid of you than you of them. I had them around me every night for six months while shooting in the boonies - as close as a couple hundred feet and never felt threatened except for the first few times until I realized they'd flee at the slightest threat from me. Most times when they got that close it was because they couldn't smell or hear me (wrong wind direction) and were spooked when I made some noise. That said: your mileage may vary (the legal disclaimer) :-)
    Now bears - don't want anything to do with them. Wolves - Think they keep their distance. Cows - Can be dangerous, kill a lot of people each year (who'd have thunk)
  • Options
    But PXLated.....I really didn't want to "test" the coyotes fear of me when I could very easily have ..... ahhh ..... made a mess of myself very easily at that time ......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    If I don't hear coyotes, the night just isn't right - They've almost become a soothing chorus :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    If I don't hear coyotes, the night just isn't right - They've almost become a soothing chorus :-)

I know they are in my neighborhood, but not necessarily in a larger pack like in AZ.  I've never heard them here, don't want to hear them here, but they were a part of the night in AZ. 

But, I'm sure I'll hear them at nature call time this coming winter in my T@B S.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    I would think if you had a CS with a modified interior which would include a sink and counter you could cook inside on the bad days and outside during the majority of the good days.
  • Options
    I discovered this summer, that I didn't use my inside stove.  I put my Coleman Grill/Stove on my table or the picnic table outside and used it, just as I did with my Silver Shadow teardrop.  It was very nice to have the sink, although I found I still washed dishes outside also.  So yes, cooking inside in a CS would be nice for those bad days, but cooking outside, yes even with a CS-S, comes naturally with camping, in my honest opinion.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - A creature of habits :-)
  • Options
    CanuckTabberCanuckTabber Member Posts: 41
    We just got back from our first trip in the CS-S to Cape Cod.  We took our two large breed dogs and are we ever glad we got the outdoor kitchen !!  Plus I cannot imagine prepping our meals inside.  Would never work "for us".  I am sure many people prefer the inside kitchen (especially in the rain) but this model was perfect for our needs.

Next step....add-a-room in case it does rain.  

Cheers.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @CanuckTabber, where do your doggies sleep? I hope to take our mutt along when we get our T@B, but my husband thinks there won't be room.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    CanuckTabberCanuckTabber Member Posts: 41
    Well the Husky sleeps on the bench (aka doggie bed) in the front of it.  And the Lab sleeps on the floor.  Sure its a tight squeeze but we are only in there at night.  
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    I initially preferred the CS, but was won over by the following considerations:

1) we have the gear to cook outside anyway (and prefer cooking on the side vs rear of the trailer; not a significant point, but...);  
    2)  wanted the flexibility to cook inside with one of a) bad weather b) in a Walmart parking lot/ferry terminal or other non-camping 'venue' without having to open up the back;
    3) propane fridge is preferred to 12v
    4) bigger bed in S version (we have an 8 year old daughter)

So, we just had our first weekend, and all good. Got the trailer Monday past, and 3 wonderful days in the park. Our selection is confirmed!  

The right trailer, as someone has said before me, is the right one for you and your needs. Enjoy!

• Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Having the frig indoor was just as important as the sink and stove. Being able to grab a cold drink at night without leaving the trailer and having my half-and-half forms morning coffee make me glad I have the S. I would not have bought the T@b if it didn't have the shower and toilet. Middle of the night walks to a campground restroom is not for me. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Two years ago, we were on a trip to Alaska in a small teardrop.  One of my not so pleasant memories was a night-time "visit to the bushes" while camped near Sitka.   When the ranger cautions at check-in time that there is a bear in the campground but he's probably more interested in the berries than in you, it makes one really think about doing nature's business out there.   On our next trip to Alaska (in our T@B) both the bears and I will be happy campers thanks to having indoor plumbing!   The benefit of an inside bathroom?   Priceless!
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map