Hi Folks, these were mods I completed after posting the ones in the “Mods/Upgrades while social distancing” discussion which is now closed.
- As seen on the Forum, I built my lighter torsion box version, of the fold down table
- Added my own version of the spice rack. (Another Forum steel)
- Added a desk lock mechanism to the drawers to ensure they can’t open while traveling. It locks all three drawers at the same time.
Note the 2018 didn't come with the bottom two drawers. Those were an earlier mod.
- Added latches to the upper cabinets like the newer models have. Sooo much safer.
- Added a stainless-steel cutting surface between the sink and stove. Actually, added it because a bottle fell out of the upper cabinet pre-latch mod and chipped the edge of the counter. It was a simple fix but turned out to be one of my favorites because to don't have to worry about a cutting board or putting a hot pan on the counter.
The blue padded mat on the sink was there as a stop gap to protect the glass top incase anything fell on it before the latches were added however I kept it as insurance when opening the cabinets for the first time after traveling.
- Modified my truck to provision for the addition of the battery-to-battery charger.
I included a solenoid with a switch in the cab so I could turn off charging if needed. IE: If the batteries were getting too hot.
Solenoid on the bottom of the screen and fuse beside the positive connection. The nut at the top left corner is the connection to the cable going to the back of the truck.
- Added a RedArc BCDC 50-amp battery-to-battery charger for my current 2-100 AH Battle Born Lifepo4 batteries. It will prioritize solar to charge the batteries only supplementing with power from the TV if needed. Alas I don't have a mounted solar panel, so in my case it simply provides power from the TV. I do however still use the BCDC solar converter feature with the addition of an external Andersen connector for my solar blanket when stationary.
I mounted the BCDC on the outside of the frame yet still close to the batteries to improve heat dissipation. A safety feature of the BCDC is that it will reduce charging output if it starts to overheat, and I wanted the full 50 amps as much of the time as possible. It's 100% waterproof so no issue there.
Fuse to protect the BCDC from a battery short on the right.
Anderson plug for the solar blanket.
- Added a drawer within a drawer for better access to utensils
below to the top drawer. Only opened part way in the picture but it will open all the way to the back exposing the entire bottom of the drawer. (Yet another super amazing idea from the Forum members)
- Added the IRV Water Pump Controller (IRVWPC), to the water pump to reduce vibration noise and conserve battery power.
I also added an isolation plate between the pump and wall, which I found acted to amplify the pump vibration. (You can see the sensor for the IRVWPC to the right of the pump)
- Added a 12v outlet to the driver side access panel to power my macerator
- I use a backup camera which I found was not very useful at night, so I added a 3200-watt LED light bar to the back of the trailer to provide better lighting when backing into a site at night.
- Noting the batteries heating up while charging via the BCDC I added cooling fans to my custom battery platform leaving even more room for storage than the original 210 AGM battery layout. (Newer model 400's batteries are now boxed in the center of the trailer bed.)
- To control both the Fans and backup light from the TV I also added a 4-channel
remote control which only uses TV provided power as I only need these when
connected to the TV. It also saves on the parasitic draw of the batteries. I will most likely
add the digital level to it as well.
- Moved the internal fridge fan I added last year into the freezer door and added magnets to hold the door open when I’m getting things out of it.
- Just plain tired of trying to redirect the airflow from the Coolcat registers away from the thermostat and my legs when sitting, so I modified the existing air deflector using a 4” PVC pipe cap to redirect the air up the hall instead… I hope! If it works, I'll add another one to the vent by the door.
This mod may also be of some use to those with newer 400s where the vent by the bed is pointing right toward your head.
- Lastly as because I’m just too cheap to buy one (especially when you add the 36% conversion cost from CDN to US dollars.) I made this wood floor mat for the bathroom/Shower. I don’t know how the purchased one do it, but I found the shower floor uneven. So, leveling the matt turned out to be a PITA... I mean an unwelcome chore.
If I ever have to replace it, I'll make the standard flat plank version. The grid version looks good and works great but took way too much planning, time, effort and material to make.