Options

Is lifting of top roof trim on 2023 320-S Boondock normal?

I sold my 2015 Tab 320 and upgrading to a 2023 new leftover 320-S Boondock. I have a hold on the new one but have concerns about the top black roof trim that is slightly lifted up on the middle section along the top roof line. It fits flush against the wall though. The dealer says this is normal and is purely cosmetic and has nothing to do with the roof/wall water seal. The dealer did not have another 320-S Boondock to compare it with. Is this normal? The trim on my 2015 320 always fit flush along the roof line.

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Are you talking about the plastic trim that is along the side walls and roofline?  There is also a black rubber gasket that is in between the plastic trim and the roof.  If that is what is popping up a bit it is something that can frequently happen.  And the dealer would be correct in that is is cosmetic only and has nothing to do with the trailer being sealed up. 

However if it is popping up it does need to be fixed.  If not it will eventually come flying off when traveling.  It is held on with a series of screws and is pinched between the keder rail and the trailer walls.  If the trim is jus loose and not broken you can usually push it back down and then tighten the screws.  Just don't over tighten them or the trim will eventually crack and break.  This is what commonly happens.  Every spring I check my trim and the screws and usually have a few to tighten down.  I also received some replacement trim from NuCamp as some of mine cracked.  I have not yet installed that and plan to wait until the original is too broken.  

If this is the case make sure it is not cracked at the attachment points and have it pressed down and gently tightened with a hand screw driver.  If it is cracked anywhere have new pieces provided by NuCamp.  

To see where the screws attach the trim you just need to remove the black plastic filler in the keder rails and you'll see the screw heads. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    Assuming this is the rounded black trim:

Starting in 2021 the black trim isn’t held in by screws. It fits into the slot and there are clips that slide into the slot and hold the trim  in place -in theory. The 2021’s had a problem with the fit. We had problems on ours. Nucamp sent me clips and an adhesive. It was a bit of work to clean out the track, put adhesive in and get the clips in. I thought they fixed that problem but maybe there are some out there with this problem.  It was typically the top trim piece that you mentioned.

It is cosmetic and doesn’t seal anything but it isn’t “normal” to have it lifted up. I did spend some time reshaping the radius of the curve to make it fit better. The dealer should be able to fix it. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Jack_BJack_B Member Posts: 3
    I contacted Nucamp service department and received a response. I was told that slight lift on the middle roof trim was normal. They advised that it was perfectly normal and said every new Tab 320 Boondock coming off the line was this way. This seems somewhat odd for me so I'm going to try and compare it with a similar model and year to see if this is the case.  
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    edited February 19
    @WayneW,  interesting and I was not aware of the change in how they attached the trim.  It must have been later in the 2021 model year.  We have a 2021 400 built early in the model year and ours is pinched between the keder rail and the side wall then held in with screws.  This method seems to work well as long as the screws are not over tightened causing the trim to crack and break.  Overtightening, thus loosening trim, seemed to be a common issue coming from the factory.  I wonder which method is better and if many of the owners with the newer method are having issues with the trim coming loose?

And does anyone have a photo of this "slight lift" in the middle of the roof trim.  I'd like to see what it looks like. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado