Options

Suction cup bike rack

New to the community. Thanks for having me. I have used the threads here for research on the Tab trailers with great success. My discussion here, and I know that bike racks on the Tabs has been a very popular topic, but I had only come across one thread regarding the Sea Sucker suction cup racks and the use on on the trailer or the tow vehicle. What I hadn’t seen was a discussion about it being inside the trailer. I have a 2021Tab 320 CS-S and the rear area under the cabinets between the cushions has a great flat, smooth area for one of these racks. I decided to order a Rock Bros single bike rack and it fits great. So there is not enough room for 2 bikes inside the trailer and the 2 bike rack won’t fit on that surface anyway. Enclosed are a couple of pics one with my road bike and one with my mountain bike as examples. There is a suction cup for the rear tire as well to help keep the bike more planted. That suction cup didn’t stay as well, though I did not clean the area as I was just trying  it out. I have not tried this on a road trip yet so I have no real world experience with it but I suspect that this is going to work well. Anyone else try this yet?

Comments

• Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    Personally I would never rely on suction cups alone.  Bike may become a destructive missile.  You might consider some backup straps tied off to:

a.  The table mount.  Slide the dovetailed post in place and strap to that to limit sway and forward-back motion.  Table mount is backed by 2x4 framing and is probably the most secure point of interior cabinetry.  

b. Test the end panels of base cabinetry** and if sound, surface mount a pair of strap clips.  Run a toothed-clamp nylon strap between them and take a wrap around the bike frame or wheel.

c.   Unlike the walls, the floors normally have good screw holding power.  You might screw a pair of flat laying tie down rings to floor up close to cabinets, if not a trip hazard.  Test in a hidden spot for holding power.  Use no more than one inch length screws. 

We have various cargo tie downs in our 320s but keep bike upright in our truck bed.

**our cabinet ends are held poorly by pocket-hole screws.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck