Options

Replacing driver's-side windows 2019 T@b 400 BL

I recently had the “opportunity” to replace both passenger-side windows on my T@b 400. This proved to be quite an exercise since the installation of the window above the kitchen counter wasn't trivial. And in fact the factory gave me the incorrect directions. So, herewith is my epistle.

The front porthole window wasn't a technical challenge. It is simply “pasted” on the outside by the 3M VHB tape. The only challenge is getting a putty knife through the tape (pic) to free the window and then scraping (and scraping, and scraping…) the old adhesive off before sticking the new window in place. (I actually sharpened my putty knife to make it a bit easier. The 3M tape is tough!) The new window came with the 3M tape already in place, so I simply aligned it with the hole and pressed it on firmly.

The operable window above the counter, however, was a bit of a puzzle. The new window comes with a plastic groove that is meant to slide. However, both ends of this groove are blocked by plugs that prevent any sliding. The first task is to carefully remove the plug on the left (rear) end. With a bit of luck and finesse (?) you will be able to get it out intact enough to replace it at the end.

Next look at the Al rail on the side of the trailer. If you look carefully (see pic) you will see that it is actually two pieces that slide together. The main/fixed rail itself is fastened to the wall by a whole series of screws. However there is one screw that is lower and more obvious. This screw holds the “inner” piece in place. Once you have removed that screw, you can slide the inner piece to the right (front of trailer) and completely out of the fixed piece.

Now mate the groove on the inner piece to the corresponding groove on the new window and slide them together. Then slide the inner piece and window together back into the fixed piece as a single unit. 

Finally, reglue the plug in the left end of the window.

Although this sounds complicated, once you know what to do it only takes about 5 mins.