Options

E-ZPass

RetiredguyRetiredguy Member Posts: 23
I'm trying to purchase an E-ZPass for my truck and trailer. I've entered the truck okay but there is no make or model option available for my 2021 T@B 320S Boondock. How can I get my trailer added? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited March 19
    The E-Z pass gantry will detect the trailer and and charge the 3 axel rate to the TV tag.
    I've been using one all over the US  for years.  

• Options
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I have a Massachusetts E-ZPass and 5 years ago entered my Tab as a TRL-Trailer, with the make "Pleasant Valley" and the model "TAB 400".
    However, I see that they made a change for travel trailers and they want you to now call their 800- number to specify the type of RV for proper billing. 
    Your state may be the same. Read the "Enter a new vehicle" part carefully. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Thanks for the info. We are from Canada and are heading to Nucamp at the end of April for some warranty work and a factory tour.  On the E-ZPASS form we were unable to enter our trailer information. We will be calling their 1-800 number this morning for clarification. I will update when I know more.
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    I have two passes
    one for just tv and one when towing

• Options
    The problem I was having was entering the tab trailer info as our trailer was not listed in the vehicle identity list. Right now I'm on 50 minute hold with E-ZPass.:(.
  • Options
    Problem solved.  Customer service was able to add my trailer to my account. When I travel to Ohio next month, I will have to bring both the trailer pass and the TV pass.  Although I will now have two passes, everything remains under the same account number.  I am assuming that if I travel with only my truck, that I should be putting my Trailer E-Zpass in a RFID wallet or leaving it at home.
  • Options
    dpj895dpj895 Member Posts: 5
    Please read their directions carefully. I also have two transponders after calling the 800 number to register my Tab; one for traveling with just the TV (2 axles) and one for when I am towing the Tab (3 axles) I was told it was one transponder or the other, not both. 
    2021 Toyota Tacoma V6 OffRoad
    2023 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    Good advice. I was told the opposite. I'll take a hard look and the directions and if necessary I will call the 1-800 number again to clarify if I feel the need to. 
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    Interesting,  I have had an EZ Pass transponder for four years in my Jeep but never did anything for my Tab400.  I have towed her hundreds of miles through many toll roads and never once had a problem.  My account has been charged accordingly but I never bothered to confirm how many axles were counted.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited March 20
    marleecamps
    I agree completely.  Several different utility, travel, and boat trailers and never any problem.  If you look at your statement there is a column for class code or something similar and in NYS it will be 2## or 3##.  I have a commute between home and a cabin where the same trip is 50% more $ for the 3 code trips which are with trailers.

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited March 20
    I have two passes. One for the truck and one I registered years ago as an RV EZpass for when pulling the camper. In New York there use to be a discount for RVs/campers if you used a separate pass registered as an RV. I don't know if it still applies. I'd have to check as it's been years.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    dpj895dpj895 Member Posts: 5
    I think part of the problem is that each ez pass agency per state may handle it differently. I’m in Massachusetts. This page explicitly says in state the readers will count axles, but they may not out of state. 

https://www.ezdrivema.com/Transponder-Information

That was enough for me to get the second transponder. 
    2021 Toyota Tacoma V6 OffRoad
    2023 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    In Texas, I believe the TxTag readers count axles and add charges to your two-axle account.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    EclipseChaserEclipseChaser Member Posts: 9
    edited April 17
    I had the E-Z Pass for a few years, but they kept charging me by the month even when not used.  I got rid of it and bought an I-Pass.  It works in all the states that the E-Z Pass does.  I've made multiple trips from Wisconsin to the East Coast with both.  No difference on the charging either.  Confirmed that when my brother and I were both pulling travel trailers and I still had the E-Z Pass, he the I-Pass.  With the I-Pass for the trailer you leave Make and Model blank.  For Vehicle Class, select Auto/Motorcycle. Enter license plate number and for license plate type, you can select Trailer.  That is all that is needed.
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I've never been charged any monthly fees for my EZpass. Only for tolls.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    We are grandfathered into no monthly fee since we have had the pass for decades

Things change
  • Options
    EclipseChaserEclipseChaser Member Posts: 9
    Okay, that makes sense.  I think that must be the case with SJL as well.  Mine I probably bought around 2017.  Held it for a couple years.  Glad that I got rid of it.  No problem with the I-Pass.  When I talked to Indiana about their pass, they tried to tell me that even though there was a fee, it saved money on the tolls compared to the I-Pass.  That I proved wrong on the following trip.
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    I got my EZ-pass in 2021 thru Minnesota and have never paid a monthly fee, only actual toll usage.  I often go months without using it.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota