Options

Roof moulding falls off again

I own a 2021 Tab 320 S. It has not been used much and after less than 1200 miles a section of roof moulding blew off. The trailer was out of warranty. The replacement section was ordered by my dealer and installed by them at my expense. After driving less than 200 miles, it blew off again somewhere along the road. My dealer is ordering another replacement and will reinstall it again at no cost to me. Has anyone had a similar experience with roof moulding falling off? Any tips for re-installing more successfully? -

Comments

• Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    @Muffinman, I feel your pain!  We have a 2021 320S Boondock and had nearly the same problem.  Both of those top trim pieces were coming loose.  Neither of them flew off while going down the highway but it was probably a matter of time.  There were several other people with the same issue with the 2021's.  To me it seemed like the curve of the trim was slightly different than that of the trailer.  The middle of the trim piece would sit all the way into the rail slot but the ends did not and as a result the ends lifted out of the rail through time.

I contacted NuCamp and they sent me some new clips and some adhesive.  I bought my trailer slightly used from a private party so warranty wasn't an option.  I carefully cleaned out the old adhesive in the rail that the trim sits in by using a hand grout saw, old screwdriver and razor knife. 

Then I spent quite a bit of time slightly changing the inside curve of the trim piece by using a spokeshave to remove some of the material in the middle of the trim piece.  I'd shave a bit off, place it on the trailer to see how it was fitting, and shave a bit more if needed.  I did this on the part that fits in the groove as well as the other part that lays on the trailer.  Eventually I got a fit I was happy with and used the new clips and adhesive to mount the trim.

Not an easy task and a bit time consuming.  However, we now have probably 20K miles on the trailer, including that nasty road into Chaco Canyon, and things are still looking good.

Good luck!!  I hope your dealer is patient!

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 5
    Thank you so very much Wayne for this information. Knowing what you discovered will assist with the next repair! Our dealer has been providing good customer service...to the point of volunteering to make the 3 hour drive to our location to pick up our trailer and then do the next repair at no charge. I will be right on it with providing the tech the information you have shared with me. Thanks again!
  • Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Ours came loose on our very first trip in our 2021 400 bdl. I used duct tape to hold it in place until we got home. Our dealer repaired it, but it flew completely off during some point of our trip to uCamp 2022. NuCamp replaced the trim the trim at uCamp, and we haven't had anymore issues. I check it regularly, and it seems to be holding up now.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,008
    @Muffinman are you able to post some pictures of the new clips they use and how they attach the trim to the trailer?  I repaired ours last year but noticed last fall that it was coming loose again.  I'll be doing a bit more repair this Spring when I uncover the trailer.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MuffinmanMuffinman Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to cottonmouth and bergger for you comments and questions. Hopefully, following the next repair job, I too, will be able to say "we haven't had any more issues" !! 
    In answer to bergger, when my dealer did the  first re-installation, there we no new clips used. There were some of the old ones still attached to the rail and they likely we re-used? but there were no new ones used at all...just a tube of special adhesive that NuCamp supplied. (The tube cost me around $40. Canadian) 
    For the upcoming repair, there are new clips ordered but I haven't seen them. I'll also be making sure the tech is aware of the issue of matching the trim curvature with the roof curvature as mentioned by WayneW in his response above.
    Thanks again to all. It is really great to feel connected to a NuCamp owner's group and be of assistance to each other!