Options

My Hack for Securing Broken Roof Trim

Our new-to-us 2018 TAB 400 had been stored outside and that took a toll on the plastic trim and, apparently like many TABs, our trim is letting go along the aluminum rail that holds it on.  It's particularly bad at the two joints on each side of the top.  I've done some research but didn't come across any substantial solution to the problem other than replacing the trim.  I've made some flaps from 4" galvanized roof flashing that I think are going to hold up pretty well and they ended up looking pretty decent too.

I cut a piece of the flashing about 6-7" long and put a straight bend on one end the width of the aluminum rail which will slide down behind the rail.  I wrapped the rest of the piece around a pole to give it a curve.  

I loosened the screws on either side of the trim joint and slid the flat tang between the plastic trim and aluminum rail then I bent the curved portion over the top of the trim holding everything down tight. I made marks where I want screws into the back side of the plastic trim and marks where to trim the excess metal such that it will fit under the rubber trim piece.  I put two elongated holes in the flashing where I screw it down to the plastic trim.  I'm hoping by doing this and not overtightening the screws the trim can expand and contract without breaking.  I used a drimel tool to grind off any sharp edges and points.

Once everything is prepared I drilled through the aluminum rail, flashing, trim, and trailer wall and put in a couple of stainless screws unless there happen to already be a screw there and in that case I just used the existing screw and hole.  Then I pushed it all down tight and put two 1/2" screws through the elongated holes and through the trim BUT NOT INTO THE TRAILER ROOF.  With the flashing all secured I masked the trailer and sprayed the flashing with primer and then a coat of Rustoleum semi-gloss black spray paint.

The result looks pretty good IMO and should hold up better than duct tape or plastic cement.  I think as the paint gets some weather wear it will blend in completely.  

2018 T@B 400 "Fara"
TV = 2021 Ford Explorer Sport "Misty"
Other camper - 1971 Mitchell Truck Camper on 1970 F250 Camper Special "The Turtle"

Comments