Options

TV question

bjmcbjmc Member Posts: 2
edited April 8 in Trailer & Towing
I'm recent owner of 2021 Tab 400 (used) and used a truck scale to verify weight (  3340 trailer) . I have been using a Kia Sorrento (Lamda 3.2 V6) to pull it (rated for 5000lbs). I have been taking short trips with it,but intend to start taking longer trips. As I read most of the posts are using a F150.  Are there are any other options other than a pick up ? 

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    On paper your current setup does the job, but I agree that for long distance travel, high elevations like the Rocky Mountains a more substantial tow vehicle makes the drive less tiring. If you don't want a truck there are frame based SUVs (often based on truck chassis) like the Toyota Sequoia (or related Lexus models), Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon, Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    gkreitzburggkreitzburg Member Posts: 9
    We bought a used Tundra to tow ours. It is over-kill, but we now have lots of extra space to carry stuff, lol
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Depending on your vehicles power plant a small/medium SUV is just fine for a given tow rating.  A turbo boosted engine will be helpful.  We tow with an Audi SQ5 for our Tab 400.  It is impressive in its capability and comfort.  

With our boat we need much more capability and use a Yukon Denali for the tow capacity and stability.  It would be overkill for our Tab.

If you want a truck by all means get one.  Is it necessary to have one to tow a Tab, no.  Desire vs. need.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 147
    We are perfectly happy towing out 2019 400 with our 2017 Highlander (rated at 5000 lbs towing).  We’ve crossed the Rockies several times and never felt like we needed more power, though we certainly didn’t break any speed records.  Enjoy!
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited
  • Options
    bjmcbjmc Member Posts: 2
    thanks to everyone for the feed back