Options

Alde system question

SardonSardon Member Posts: 2
Do I need to worry about the expansion tank before I start using the Alde system? It seems pretty well inaccessible BY DESIGN, so maybe I can ignore all the warnings in the Alde and nuCamp manuals.

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    There is really nothing to do with the expansion tank.  It does it's own thing.  The glycol will cycle through the tank, in and out.  It has an overflow drain that will leak out excess glycol if necessary.  It is good to check the level of the glycol in the tank every once in a while.  The tank has a minimum and maximum fill line for cold glycol.  I keep ours just a bit over the minimum line.  The level will rise as the glycol heats up and starts to gurgle in the expansion tank.  Not sure what year and model trailer you have but whether it is brand new or used, if it's the first time using the Alde certainly check the cold level of the glycol and watch it while it heats up for the first time.  And again, check the level every once in a while to see if you need to top it off.  Other than that nothing to worry about with it.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    SardonSardon Member Posts: 2
    My complaint, if you will, is that while you (the forum) and Alde, and nuCamp say to "check it," the device is not accessible! We are on our "maiden voyage" with the 2021 TaB 320 and unsure about trying to use the system.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The expansion tank is accessible - just not "easily accessible."  I agree it's a pain to get to, but a needed procedure prior to each trip.  Once the tank is visible, shine a UV flashlight behind it to check the fluid level.  The Alde fluid "lights up" under UV light.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.