Options

Screens for external refrigerator vents to keep out bugs

One of the things I noticed on a recent windy day was that I was getting a draft around my fridge. There is a fairly large gap between the fridge and walls so I used some open cell foam but it got me thinking. We usually have a ton of small bugs no matter where I seal things and the fridge gap was the latest. Looking at the upper/lower external vents on the side of the T@B for the fridge is another means for bugs to get in (I had stink bug infiltration as well).

I decided to make up a couple of small screens to fit into the vent area. It was pretty simple, and with the spring loaded screen lock pins they both hold them in place and also make for easy removal if I need to get at the propane fridge pilot, valve, etc.

I used a 5/16"x3/4" aluminum screen frame with plastic corners. The frame came with the spline and I already had some fiberglass screen material.  The members I cut were as follows (you may need to adjust as needed):

Bottom vent: 4-3/8" for vertical, 16-3/16 for the horizontal
Top vent: 4-3/4" for vertical, 16-1/4" for the horizontal.

I drilled the holes for the screen lock pins into the frame before it was assembled, then assembled the pins to the vertical members.  The corners were tapped into place and then screened.

To make it easier to install I screwed a couple of stainless screws at each top corner to grab onto to, probably not needed since I can easily get the screen in place with the pins.

I also had some springs around (you can see the on one pic) but I removed them for the final assy. since the pins hold well.

As far as the pins, the side walls where the pins go into is a just Styrofoam covered with metalized tape. I placed the screens then just pushed the pins out. I added a bit more metalized tape as well for stronger holding power, probably not needed.

For the bottom screen I needed to trim the bottom corners a little with a box cutter. The assemblers were a bit overzealous with caulk and I really did not want to remove it.

The lock pins were $6 for 4, a 36" screen kits gets you enough for the members, 4 corners and includes spline for <$20. You will need another 4 corners for $10 plus a bit of screen .  

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey