Options

Coleman solar panel

Would there be any problem using a Coleman 100w crystalline solar panel?  They are on sale at Canadian Tire for 60% off. Looks like a good deal. Regularly $499.99 on sale for $198.99

thanks. 

Bill
2015 T@B  Yellow Q-Plan

Comments

• Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2015
    Saw this as well in flyer today, and am tempted by it. I did a quick comparison check  on amazon.ca. Renogy and others are similarly priced, and there were some flex panel options for not much more I think, which were lighter, etc.  I think I will wait for something with flex that can attach permanently (or semi) to the roof.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Flex-Panels... I have in my head from somewhere that flex are less efficient than solid by quite a bit - anyone know?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Flex-Panels... I have in my head from somewhere that flex are less efficient than solid by quite a bit - anyone know?

Last I heard, the quality and longevity is improving.  Still not as good as the hard panels.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I have 2 flexible Renogy 100 watt panels wired in a series to my charge controller.  I have been using them all this week for the first time since I made the "suitcase" earlier this year.  It has been getting my batteries recharged between 95 to 100% each day with out moving around to point them into the sun.  I set it up and forget it.  I am using the 12v fridge, 50 Qt ARB chest refrigerator and my CPAP.  Also using fan,lights as desired.  Needless to say I am pleased with their performance.  BTW,we have 225 AH batteries
    John.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    edited September 2015
    Are the Coleman panels monocrystalline or polycrystalline? Since they're advertised as "crystalline" I'm going to guess poly. Mono are supposed to be more efficient, and are typically a bit more expensive. While the $198 isn't a "bad" price for a rigid panel with controller, it doesn't seem to me to be a great price - comparing with the price of a 100w rigid Renogy monocrystalline panel kit with 30amp PWM controller and wiring.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    It is preferable to have the charge controller close to your batteries and not attached to the panel.  You will have less voltage drop.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Are the Coleman panels monocrystalline or polycrystalline? Since they're advertised as "crystalline" I'm going to guess poly. Mono are supposed to be more efficient, and are typically a bit more expensive. While the $198 isn't a "bad" price for a rigid panel with controller, it doesn't seem to me to be a great price - comparing with the price of a 100w rigid Renogy monocrystalline panel kit with 30amp PWM controller and wiring.
    This is the ad from Canadian tire and they list the panels as crystalline and not the monocrystalline panel which I personally would shy away from.  I would agree, the monocrystalline panel would be the panel to purchase and most desirable for me personally.  

Sidhalemm said:
    Would there be any problem using a Coleman 100w crystalline solar panel?  They are on sale at Canadian Tire for 60% off. Looks like a good deal. Regularly $499.99 on sale for $198.99

thanks. 

Bill
    And yes Bill, you could use this panel but if it were me, I'd get more information from the company and have them, tell you whether the panel is polycrystalline or monocrystalline.  Look around some and do some research on the solar panels before purchasing one as you basically get what you pay for.  I have a Zamp 80 watt panel I've had for about 4 years and am happy with it, but Renogy also makes a nice monocrystalline panel and flexible panels.  I like the Zamp portable panel because it is easily stored and comes with a nice storage case and a nice charge controller which does the trick charging up my trailer battery.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ