Options

Any recommendations for quieter vent fans for the roof

The wife is really not liking the volume on the roof fan, so we're wondering if anybody out there has changed them out and found a quieter model that works as well?

John & Lori in Northern VA
Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited September 2015
    There's a couple threads on replacement fans, quieter and more speeds, less power hungry. Sorry don't have a link but a search might find them - they're not that old.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Fantastic Fan 7350 (there is an upgrade kit available) or completely swap it out for a MaxxAir fan.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I found a 12 volt cooling fan from a computer, hung it under the roof fan with two small bungies, then wired it up to a switch that I mounted in the roof fan. It's much quieter, draws less power and creates just enough draft to keep the air moving at night.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I haven't found the fan to be overly noisy (but I think the a/c is very loud) and I will note that when I picked up my T@b the technician (who had never seen a T@b before since this dealership had just started selling them, with mine the first to arrive) was surprised at the specific fan that Little Guys put in the T@b. He stated that this was a very high end fan usually seen in the more expensive motorhomes and trailers. For what its worth, he said he was very impressed with everything about the T@b, commenting that the quality of materials and construction was far above what he was used to dealing with when working on travel trailers, even much more expensive trailers.
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Vito - Funny, I find the opposite - I can nap like a baby with the air going but can't catch a wink with the fan :-)
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Recently on a very hot night, where running the a/c was absolutely necessary, I wanted to watch a DVD before going to sleep. Even with the speakers right by my head I found it hard to hear the dialogue because of the noice from the a/c. But on cooler nights, running the fan to bring in some cooler air, I had no trouble watching a movie. For sleeping, the fan acts like a "white noise" machine and nicely covers noise from outside the T@b. But for sleeping only I can tolerate the a/c sound as well. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    It's probably a pitch thing - We're either deaf to certain frequency/pitches or different frequency/pitches annoy us.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    After years of hearing telephone central office equipment with dozens of small fans,  hearing phone systems, and hearing a multitude of phones ring, the Fantastic Fan noise just doesn't bother me.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304

After working in a very noisy factory for 37 years, I have trouble sleeping if it's too quiet. Even at home I need to have a fan on so I can sleep. Gotta have that white noise.

The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    We replaced our fan with a MaxxFan.  The lower speeds are quieter then the original Fantastic Fan, but if you crank it up it is still noisy.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I think I have to add a MaxxFan Deluxe to my list of to-do's.

Does that MaxxFan (Deluxe, with the rain cover) open part-way? All the images I've been able to find show it open either all the way, or not open at all.

Part-way would be important if the wind and rain were coming from the open side...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya