Options

2021 400 boondock E brake magnet condition

Should this be replaced? Thanks!

2021 T@B 400 Boondock; TV: working on it!

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 466
    Hard to tell from the pic, how much of a wedge shape does it have ? Clearly the part with the vertical lines has never touched the surface in the drum.
  • Options
    GkopanGkopan Member Posts: 13
    Not sure what you mean by "wedge", but a straight edge on the face shows it is not completely flat. Why would the vertical line section area not be contacting the drum?
  • Options
    Wedge=how much is the left end worn down vs the right end which hasn't worn at all. When the magnet attaches to the drum it gets shoved backwards and wears more in the front (left side in the pic). If the brakes weren't used a lot and/or the brake controller is turned way down it it could cause little to no wear.
  • Options
    Thanks. That one is one the passenger side. I looked at the driver's side today and it is flat across the whole surface and not as worn overall. I'll lube the posts the magnets ride on. Maybe the drum surfaces should be machined, too?
  • Options
    Ah, sorry it looks like the lever is on the left side in the pic. Seeing how little the magnet is worn there is no need to machine the drum. Check that the right side is actually working because seeing almost no wear is unusual.
  • Options
    How would I test whether it works?
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 622
    Jack up the trailer with the battery turned on, pull the emergency brake cable out and try to spin the wheels.  If there is a difference in wear between sides, I would adjust the shoes.  
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA