Options

Alde 3020 propane problem

Our 2020 AVIA has the Alde 3020.  Works perfect on AC but will not run on propane.  Get the "gas failure" error.  After many hours of troubleshooting I am reasonably certain the gas valve is not energizing.  The blue and black wires on the top of the valve are reading 11.7 volts during the startup. During startup I can hear the fan running and the spark plug (ignitor) clicking.  There is no obvious sound that the gas valve is doing anything.  I disconnected the gas output line from the valve and turned on the Alde.  I did not smell or hear any propane coming out of the output line.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I need a new gas valve or if the control board is not applying the proper voltage to activate the valve.  11.7 volts seems low (especially since the Alde control panel shows 13.2 volts).

FYI:  the burners and 3-way fridge work fine on propane - I have tried three different tanks - I tried a regulator I removed from our Weber grill and the burners and fridge worked fine but same failure on the Alde.

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,612
    a]  Have you contacted ADLE USA Support for troubleshooting assistance?

b]  One of the UK Service Manuals has this operation overview.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  52   Nights:  329  Towing Miles 41,900+
  • Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 79
    a]  Have you contacted ADLE USA Support for troubleshooting assistance?

b]  One of the UK Service Manuals has this operation overview.

Thanks.  It's doing exactly that during the startup.  I can hear (and see in the service menu) the fan ramping up and then down.  I can hear the the spark ignitor.  I hear nothing that sounds like gas flowing and then I get the "gas out" warning.  It would be nice if the Alde were a little more sophisticated.  The "gas out" warning can be caused by quite a few things.  I have eliminated all of those except the solenoid not activating.

My dealer asked Alde USA to contact me.  Haven't heard anything yet.
  • Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 79
    Spoke with level 2 tech support at Alde USA.  The tech (Marty) was very knowledgeable.  He is 99% sure I have a bad gas valve solenoid.  He knew the wire colors, polarity and voltages off the top of his head.  He said he works on the Alde units every day.

I won't be able to report back until July if this fixes my problem (trailer is at our remote home in Montana) but I'm going to remove the solenoid and apply voltage to the DC voltage terminals with a 12v motorcycle battery and listen for any mechanical engagement.  I'll do the same with the new part my dealer is ordering and I bet the mechanical engagement is easily heard.  I've never seen a solenoid that didn't make a pronounced click when opening.

The part number for the US spec 3020 gas valve solenoid is:  35130-10622.  It is one of the parts that only a dealer can order.