Options

Backing up

2»

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I just plan better so I never annoy people by arriving after dark.

I know what you're saying right now - He never plans anything so he has to be lying.
    Today's quiz - Am I or am I not? :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Ha ha... Got ya... Not lying :-)

Reason one is I'm usually setting up to do photography so need to do that well before sunset.
    Reason two is I never make reservations so I always get to a campsite early to ensure there's still open spaces.
    Reason three, since I'm roaming full time, I don't need to press on to a predetermined destination like those on vacation, I can just find a place when it's time.
    And finally, early in my travels I watched (and was amused by) people getting in real late and struggling.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2015
    I like your reasoning PXL. I'll have to work on adopting that kind of system. 

I like driving @ 4-5 hours per day, but we also like relaxing over coffee and dominoes in the morning. Then we need a good hike at least, so that usually makes the campsite arrival come around 5pm - not very 'early'.

Going to have to design a time stretcher of some sort.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    Wish I could count on getting out early, but if I am going out camping after work, or can't get out due to last-minute meetings, things just start to run late. Last Friday it was raining and several accidents in the greater Twin Cities area led to 1 1/2 hours before I even hit the Wisconsin border from the western side of MInney.  Can't wait till retirement camping. But getting out and getting set up in the dark sure beats nixing the whole thing and staying home, too. 

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    JodellR - If you're not retired, that last sentence is probably true.
    The ones I can't figure out are those that show up real late (10-11pm) at fairly remote campgrounds that are first-come, first-served - Devils Tower for example. It would be filled to capacity by 6 and there's nowhere else close. Might have to drive for another hour or two to find something at that hour. A tenter might be able to squeeze in somewhere but not a camper. One night a big rig pulled in at 1am - Crazy.
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2015
    Sandra said:
    I put a flashlight at the back driver's side corner of the site (turned on!) - it really helps when you are backing up in the dark.
    This is a great idea, a flashlight or small lantern laid on the ground to help out. I had to back into a dark campsite last weekend, very hard to get bearings. Thanks!

• Options
    That's almost a 12hr drive - You're crazy, not sure I'd admit that ;-)
    Warning - I don't have much tolerance for people driving too long and pushing it - a few years ago I was hit head on by a guy that fell asleep and missed a curve. He got close and wanted to push it that one last hour. He'd been on the road for a little over 10hrs. Cost me 3 years with 3 surgeries, a bad knee and hip.
  • Options
    Sorry for picking on ya - We've all gone longer than we should, me included. It's tough to resist the urge to truck on when the destination seems to be within a reason le distance. Not quite so bad if one get's off bright and early - my guy didn't.
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    edited October 2015
    I have had no problem backing up, the problem is I can't back it up into the space it's supposed to be in- I back up the T@B as close as I can then I unhitch and put the wheel on the jack and hand push it where it's supposed to be.  Sometimes I can back it up properly and some days I can't.
  • Options
    No matter how long you've been backing up successfully - I've got 11 months under my belt - there will be a day you look like you've never done it before. I had one of those last week backing into my brothers driveway which I've done many times. Not this time, disaster from start to finish. Luckily nobody was around and watching. I finally got set and just had to laugh at myself.
  • Options
    You should have charged them for the show :-)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Here is something that may help.  I look out the right side mirror and focus on the white grab bar next to the trailer door with the trailer and truck straight.  Now having a point of reference, if the grab bar starts to disappear, then the trailer is moving to the left and I can start to correct with the wheel. It also helps to say out loud the direction you want the trailer to move (best if you're alone).  Using the left mirror works the same way with the FM antennae as a reference point.  Another thing that was a HUGE help was buying two orange traffic cones at HomeDepot ($10 each) and practicing in a large parking lot for about an hour or so.  Space them out fairly wide at first, then start bringing them in.  Finally, make sure your truck wheels are straight before starting to backup. I would stick my head out the window and check each time.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I totally agree about people trying to help.   I know they mean well, but it's confusing.  Yes, pulling forward frequently to straighten it out is key.  That, in addition to small corrections, as others have said.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Not just confusing but oftentimes not the best advice under the circumstances.  While sometimes well meaning, it is not necessarily even the right thing to do... particularly when going forward would be the best approach, they focus on trying to compensate for a problem that is not easily solved with continued backup.  
  • Options
    OutbackAZ - The general advice is to use the bottom of the steering wheel but I've always found that awkward so (as I've mentioned before) I use the top and watch for either of the back corners (handles) to peak out and turn the top of the steering wheel minutely toward it. Works like a champ.
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    I have been backing various trailer since I was 12 years old (helping dad launch boats)...

I am reasonably good at it...

The only way to learn is to find an empty parking lot and a few orange cones and figure it out.  I assure that NO ONE is a "Natural" at doing it....

P.S. I always do fine until the wife decides to help....

Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    My best advice is back up slowly...then slow down some more.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    Slow, micro movements. Get backing up straight down before tackling backing in somewhere.
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I just let my wife do it. I'm amazed at how easy she makes it look.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2015
    If you can hone this skill (The Swoop) it does make backing into camping areas a piece of cake!   The most important part of the swoop exercise is that last turn to the left with the vehicle.  When you come in toward the campsite drive area, start turning upward and away from the location.  When you reach the highest point,  start turning back sharply to the left and look in your rear-view mirror and keep your eye on the back of the trailer.  It is at this critical point when the rear of the trailer will start to point back toward the area you will now be backing into.  Stop your turn when the trailer is pointed toward the camp site area.  You can now begin backing into the campsite slowly...  

If you follow the track shown below, do it all slowly and take your time backing the trailer in, this process will make backing into camp sites much easier.  Obviously it does take time, practice and repetition to hone these skills, but it will come with a little practice and patience....  

Attached Image
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    The big "but" with the swoop technique is if there's enough room on the campground road to even do an effective swoop. I was batting less than 50% on that score.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2015
    If you dive "deeper" into the camp site drive entrance on approach it does help some.  But no doubt there are sites with obstructions like rocks, posts, etc., that will hinder the process.  Why campsites place these large items at the entrance is just plain ignorant as it makes backing a swift pain in the shorts and much more difficult than it should be.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited November 2015
    We took our RackAndRoll trailer to an empty parking lot last weekend to check out the scoop. It is light enough to move by hand even loaded with bikes and kayaks, so we've never learned to back it up. We weren't very successful, although we weren't aware of the "blue" turn in the picture above. We were starting the backup when we got to the end of the red arrows in your diagram and it just didn't work. I can see how that would set up the tow vehicle and trailer in the correct position for backing into the site.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    photomom - It's good to get the backing in down unless you'll always be camping on a nice solid concrete or asphalt pad. The minute you hit a soft pad you won't be easily moving your T@B around by hand I'd bet.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Yeah, we have lots more practicing to do!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Pepsi22Pepsi22 Member Posts: 23
    It takes practice. I have pulled trailers with tractors and am use to backing. Use the recommendation to practice in a parking lot. Practice two ways - using your mirrors and facing backwards to the trailer.  I have always done better facing backwards and steering with my left hand. But, with practice, I am very good at backing using the mirrors. Don't worry about having to pull up a couple times to straighten up. Some days, you nail it and some days, you don't. Just laugh and go on, everyone in the park has been in your shoes.
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I had a fellow camper guide me in and that is all it took. All the micro movements in the world did not work backing into a space but after I realized that it took much bigger movements after the initial small first turn it became much easier. I even came home and backed it into my storage unit with only 3 tries. I believe I may start enjoying my T@B more instead of dreading taking it out knowing I will once again make a fool of myself trying to back up.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Cat_913 said:
     I believe I may start enjoying my T@B more instead of dreading taking it out knowing I will once again make a fool of myself trying to back up.
    To those who laugh at you...they're not the kind of people you or I want to associate with. Ignore them, put your "blinders" on and just tell yourself you can do it. Remember what you learned, apply it at the next campground, just as you did at the storage unit. Trust me, the T@B is so much easier to back up than a 4-wide or a Silver Shadow teardrop!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”