Options

Backing up

It is official, I haven't got a clue about how to back my T@B. I spent at least an hour this morning trying to even come close to may storage unit. If I turn to the left (even just a little) it jackknifes to the right, if I turn to the right it jackknifes to the right, if I try to back straight it jackknifes to the right. I ended up pushing it in by hand and the front wheel kept bogging down in the gravel until I would have to hook it back up to the TV and push it a little farther and start the whole thing over again. I'm to old for this, this was suppose to be easy and fun not frustrating and annoying. That front wheel is to stall to push it over anything but concrete. I haven't even camped in it yet and I'm ready to get rid of darn thing.

Comments

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Cat - hang in there! I'm a newbie (of sorts - towed but it was 40 years ago and a much bigger rig, which is actually easier to back up).  I was pretty nervous and have only backed it up to my storage place once. Others will be able to give you tips. Here are mine: since the T@B is a single axle it responds to movements much quicker than the larger rigs. So you have to make tiny adjustments-you said you turned it just a little but try even littler turns to the wheel. And the storage lot guys helped me by saying once you start backing up and it's starting to jack-knife, don't turn the wheel the other way - pull forward again. I must have pulled forward 8-10 times! That's okay. The other thing I did was get two collapsible cones - I put one on both sides of the space so I can see them in my mirrors - or one on the side at the place where you want to stop. If you have time and the storage place is convenient - hook it up and spend an hour practicing. I know the first time I take it camping and have to back up I'll provide some enjoyment to others watching but that's okay - up/back, up/back - eventually it'll come easier :)
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I'm a new T@b owner and felt exactly the way you do. I told my wife we should sell it and forget this whole RV thing. But I just relaxed and practiced a bit in an empty parking lot. I just try to do it by feel and not get too hung up on technique. I'm still pretty bad with backing up but getting better. Hang in there. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2015
    Cathy, don't give up! Practice practice practice...

I've been backing trailers of one kind or another for (OMG) nigh over 40 years now, and I still have to stop and re-start and try try again.

It's tough when you can't see beyond the Tab to where you're aiming at.

But, if you can, find an empty-ish plaza parking lot, on a quiet Sunday morning, and work on it for a couple of hours. The lines in the parking spaces are good to work with. 

Good-sized side mirrors help too.

Remember the hand goes on the bottom of the steering wheel and move the hand in the direction you need the Tab to go. Use your side mirrors (I find that looking over my shoulder screws me up), go slow, and try again.

There's a handy video with a good backing system, "The Scoop", highlighted here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RLtfrBWzNCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtfrBWzNCw
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Cat, it does just take some practice and patience.  You will get it.

A few things that may help you:
    • Steer with you hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, this has the effect of reversing the way you normally steer, which is what you need for backing up a trailer.
    • Go slow, taking small, gentle movements.  The smaller the trailer the smaller the movements it takes to make it turn.
    • Don't be afraid to pull forward and start again.  Sometimes it is the only way to get it right.
    • Also, don't be afraid to ask for help.  Campgrounds are full of experienced folks that are very happy to help.  It is also a great way to meet new people!

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    This video may help:

https://youtu.be/CDTvoA_uEik

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As you can tell, you're not alone. Everyone has trouble at first.
    What I recommend is finding a nice big empty parking lot and just practicing backing up straight. Pull forward if it gets too kitty-waukus and start again. This will give you a feel for how little it takes to turn it. Watch in the rear view mirrors and the minute you see the tail end off the T@B peaking out, make a small adjustment. Takes practice but you'll get it. Once you can keep it relatively straight, then try backing it into somewhere nice, slow and easy.

Now, I don't necessarily recommend this for others but it works better for me. I use the top of the steering wheel and watch in the mirrors for the T@B tail end on one side or the other to peek out and I move my hand in that direction - point to the tail you see. Small movements. My Jeep is almost the exact same width as the T@B so I can see any deviation almost immediately. With a narrower TV, you'd already be turning more so would have to make a "slightly" larger correction. 
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    Thanks everyone, Maybe next weekend I can take it out to practice, I should be healed by then from the strains and aches and pains caused by my manhandling it this weekend. 
  • Options
    Keep at it - Probably the worst thing to try first (t'would styme many here) is backing into a confined space. On the bright side, once you do manage to back it in, there won't be a campsite anywhere more challenging.
  • Options
    Lil_L's_Sofitel_15Lil_L's_Sofitel_15 Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2015
    I have to concur with everyone here. My problem is that I NEED to be able to do it 'all by my little self'. I found that when someone would help me, it interrupted my "mental flow" -if you will, so I learned Nothing. So I finally got brave and began saying, "thank you, but I need to do this myself" to helpful onlookers. I am sure it was frustrating to watch, but I learned! 
    I think the tipping point that made me get a grip was the man who Yelled at me (!) "You have no business pulling a trailer if you don't know how". That did it! o Nothing like a good insult to make me more determined than ever!

• Options
    Slow, easy, micro movements = success
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Once I was able to relax, and do the micro steps as PXL stated, I got better at backing. Just back an inch or two at a time. It's tedious, but I get the trailer where I want it. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Photomom said:

I think the tipping point that made me get a grip was the man who Yelled at me (!) "You have no business pulling a trailer if you don't know how". That did it! o Nothing like a good insult to make me more determined than ever!

This makes me SO angry! Why do some men think they can talk to women this way? They'd never say that to another man.
    How do they think you learn?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2015
    This thread makes me feel so much better about my horrible backing skills! My first trip was last weekend, and upon reaching the campground I discovered it was back in only. Having heard the T@b was easy to back, and watched many YouTube videos, I thought I was ready. Oh, No! Luckily there's was no one on either side of me, no tables or trees. After about 10 tries I got it close enough to adequate, but not pretty. As a woman traveling alone, as mentioned above, I must master each of the skills. Before I take it to my storage spot I will be heading to an empty parking lot with some cones. Thanks for the support everyone.
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    Whoever said T@Bs (or any short trailer) is easy to back up was extremely ill informed :-)
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I will add that after backing the smaller LG silver shadow i had for over a year. backing the larger T@B is much easier. (Or at least that is what I am telling myself.). :)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Sally - I can see that. The longer the trailer, the easier it gets.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I will add that after backing the smaller LG silver shadow i had for over a year. backing the larger T@B is much easier. (Or at least that is what I am telling myself.). :)
    I agree.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I agree.
    The T@b is much easier than my old M416 military trailer was (much smaller.)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Ok, so for all those waiting on T@Bs to arrive, go find a smaller towable to practice with in the meantime.  =)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    lunafemme - Cool, you're making progress if you're on the pad. Pretty soon you'll be a pro, just takes time. slow and easy and micro adjustments is the key.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I don't think anyone has mentioned...   I find moving forward as important as moving backward.  

When in doubt, move forward and use the forward movement to reorient the T@B in preparation for backing up again.  

I go slowly, readjusting by going forward when and doubt and taking as many forward/backward movements until I get where I want.  

So if you made the cement, move forward and center T@B and you will be ready for backward movement to aim it closer to exactly where you want.  

If someone is watching, who cares.  Take your time, readjust yourself and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    I don't think anyone has mentioned...   I find moving forward as important as moving backward.  

When in doubt, move forward and use the forward movement to reorient the T@B in preparation for backing up again.  

I go slowly, readjusting by going forward when and doubt and taking as many forward/backward movements until I get where I want.  

So if you made the cement, move forward and center T@B and you will be ready for backward movement to aim it closer to exactly where you want.  

If someone is watching, who cares.  Take your time, readjust yourself and you'll be fine.
    Great point!

• Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2015
    I would really reiterate some of the previous comments about getting in a parking lot and practicing. I never backed up a trailer in my life, and on our first two outings, have succeeded in backing it down a narrow driveway, about 150 ft (with a couple of turns), between another motorhome and my parents' home. My TV mirror touched on one side even, but the T@b went right through. It involves: very small turns of the steering wheel, counter-intuition, very, very light on the gas pedal, stopping and pulling ahead to re-orient, and keep checking mirrors and looking back. If I can get it back through such a hole, you all can. :) Hopefully that will be an encouragement.  (I didn't do the practicing, but I had long heard how difficult it was to back stuff up, and that it is counter-intuitive. So with that, I had success!)
  • Options
    Yep. Tiny movements. Correcting by going forward. Not listening to anyone but yourself. I back myself up my 30ft driveway, a hill, past a car and a truck and into one bay of my garage ( after I dismissed a neighbor & roomy who were yelling helpful things) I got in on my first try with the usual adjusting, so ...I did it! And anyone else can too  =)
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    My only additions are I always open my driver side window to look at my TV tires, and how they are positioned, as well as it helps  see behind me.  Mash2 is right. It's the forward progress and realizing how straight you need to be, versus what left or right movements to make. I also will get out of the car to make double sure. 

The last two weekends I backed into narrow spots in the dark. That was really exciting! :)

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    Backing in the dark <- Newbies, don't try this until you're really comfortable. Can't tell you how many times I've watched people come in late and struggle - Even with experience.
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    Agree, PXL...backing in dark is really tricky. I'll admit, I heard a little scrape of pine bark to help tell me I got too close to the tree.  That was at Willow River State Park in Wis. Lovely site. Narrow as heck driveway. Hang in there, Cat- you will get it !
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    I will be backing out of my brother's long, narrow driveway tomorrow. At least it's straight!

• Options
    Jenn - Long/Narrow are never easy - Good luck