Electric question

I am having a problem with the electricity in my 2022 tab 320.
These are possibly all separate issues but...

1) When I plug in to shore power, the ac elements of the power converter seem to work (i only tested the outlets), but the DC elements do not (just tested lights and water pump). The unit does not come on and glow red, but there is a green light in the lower right.
If I turn on the battery switch, the power converter unit comes on and glows red and everything works.

2) My victron solar charger seems to think the battery is fully charged at 13.7 volts and goes into float mode. But the multimeter at the battery and at the victron both read 12.8 volts.

3) This was all preceded by an event where I was only running the fan on the battery. Sometime during the night the fan just stopped, and there was no longer any electricity in the camper.  In the morning, I found a blown fuse at the battery and the battery was at 10.7 volts.

I am not sure how else to trouble shoot this.  I think I can reset the victron controller tonight after dark and maybe that will fix that problem.  Other suggestions?  But the power converter is a mystery to me. 
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Subaru Wilderness/Tab320s 2022

Comments

• SprocketSprocket Member Posts: 53
    I should mention that I have a LiFePo battery.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 980
    It may be the battery fuse in the converter.  That is probably the "red glow".  For some reason they put a 30A fuse in a charger that is rated at 35 amps.  A depleted LiPo battery will easily take the full current available and may have blown that fuse also...

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,678
    Sprocket said:

1) When I plug in to shore power, the ac elements of the power converter seem to work (i only tested the outlets), but the DC elements do not (just tested lights and water pump).
    The unit does not come on and glow red, but there is a green light in the lower right.

If I turn on the battery switch, the power converter unit comes on and glows red and everything works.

For Issue #1 . . . . one of two possible reasons . . . .

One.   The Convertor is not on.  It is hardwired to one of the ACV Circuit breakers
               Normally the first one to the right of the Main Circuit Breaker.
               Toggle the Circuit Breaker(s) fully off, then fully on.  Sometimes the switch handle
                looks like it is on but the breaker has tripped.

Do your DCV items (lights) now work with the Battery Switch in Off?

Two.    The Convertor (a printed circuit board assembly in the Power Center) has failed.
                You can test the Convertor operation with a voltage meter.
                In general:

Attached PDF file has the WFCO No DC Voltage Troubleshooting FlowChart.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  52   Nights:  329  Towing Miles 41,900+
    rfuss928 said:
    It may be the battery fuse in the converter.  That is probably the "red glow".  For some reason they put a 30A fuse in a charger that is rated at 35 amps.  A depleted LiPo battery will easily take the full current available and may have blown that fuse also...

Thank you rfuss...which fuse is the "battery fuse in the convertor".  Do I have to take the back off for this or is it the same as the reverse polarity fuse MuttonChops is talking about?

Thank you MuttonChops. The flow chart is great.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,835
    If you are seeing a "red glow" next to a converter fuse, that means that fuse is blown.  So, have another look with the trailer under power.  If there are "red leds lights" next to any fuse, then turn off the shore power and battery switch and pull those fuses with the red lights next to them and replace them.
    The Fuses For Newbies file has photos of the fuses in the converter that should closely match what yours should have.  The "battery charging" fuse and the "Battery protection" fuse are the two on the bottom of the "stack" of the fuses.  30 and 40 amp.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 980
    edited July 18
    Sprocket   On my 8735AD  it is fuse #6 labeled "Converter Power".   Fuse #7 is "Reverse Battery Protection".  According to WFCO Service both those fuses should be 40A.  Mine was supplied with 30A in fuse #6 - below rated output of 35A.

Thank you! There was indeed a blown fuse. I thought I had checked them all, but I missed it.