Surge brakes hot and hard to move the camper

ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 277
We just got back from a trip to the Mogollon rim in AZ. Lots of downhill travel but the last hour or so were just flat freeway driving. When we get home, we usually back up to the RV gate next to our house then push the camper back behind the gate. Tonight, it was real hard to push back and the wheels felt hot. I turned the tire monitor back on and one was registering 122 and the other 113. Outside temp was 93. Once we let them cool a bit, it was easy to push again. The wife said she thought the temps read fine when we turned off the freeway when she put the tire monitor away. This is a 2014 Pleasant Valley S Max with surge (non-electric) brakes. Thoughts? Anyone else experience this? One data point is I have never used the backing up position on the tongue. Maybe it engaged this one time because I didn't? Maybe they got stuck from backing up with the lever in normal mode? We did pull it forward once we let them cool off. Maybe that disengaged them?
2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole

Comments

• Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 504
    The trailer has the Atwood hydraulic surge brakes, correct ? My guess would be the brakes got hot on the downhill and heat expansion caused the brakes to drag which in turn kept the temperature high. Could have been the coupler not moving freely, brake fluid expansion/air in the system or the brakes are adjusted just a little too tight. The fluid reservoir should not be filled to the top, the fluid needs room to expand.
  • ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 277
    That’s what I thought but the hour of regular driving after that would have allowed them to cool off you’d think. 
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 504
    Together with the self energizing effect the shoes might have continued to drag more than normal which in turn generates heat. Only when you stopped and let it sit the brakes, fluid etc. cooled down.