Options

Adding Diamond Plate to a Dutchmen

I've posted this over on the FB Groups, but thought I would add them here also.

I bought the kit from Pleasant Valley while at Tearstock.

First steps, taking all the old stuff off

Then I spent several hours (over about a week) cleaning and getting all the old caulk off.

Then dad came over with his pneumatic staple gun.

All stapled in place.

Side Trim Back on

Putting the gummy tape on a piece of side trim

Top Trim On

Propane Regulator Mounted Back

All put back together

I was really nervous about the caulk, cause I'm TERRIBLE at it. But YouTube to the rescue. You can use painters tape for caulk lines just like paint. Just put the painters tape on either side of where you will be caulking. Run the bead in between the tape. Run your finger along it. Wait a couple of minutes, then peel the tape. Nice pretty caulk lines!!
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
Harvest, AL

Comments

• Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    I dont have a staple gun will rivits work just as well? Also how hard was it to do this yourself, the plate is inexpensive from the factory and I would love to have this on my T@B.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Not sure about rivets. The staples were low profile enough that we put them right near the edge, and the trim covered them up. Another option is to drill the edges in a few spots and put a few screws in, then as you work the trim back on, (from the bottom up), remove the screws. As I was asking around the forums on how folks did it, another person used heavy construction adhesive to hold it in place.

It wasn't super/duper hard, just time consuming. Be extra careful removing the side trim, so that you don't tear it up. Annealing aluminum for the curve for new side trim would be VERY hard. It took me several hours over several days to get all the old caulk off. Also shot some wood filler into a very small soft spot near the bottom door side corner, so had to let that firm up.

If you already have an air compressor, a cheap staple gun and a hose is less than $25 from Harbor Freight.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    thanks for your comments, I am a little uneasy about tearing into the trim, I am a handy guy but I don't want to destroy the front end.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The bottom trim was toast when I took it off, but the kit came with replacement bottom trim.

The side trim was a short enough piece, and I took it slow and easy getting it off. I carefully scored the old caulk before removing.

Of course the top trim is new also.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL