Help with decision to buy a Tab 400

Hi Everyone - My wife and I are considering buying a 2025 Tab 400 when they come out in a few months as our first trailer.  We like the 2025 mainly for the larger steel container on the tongue with dedicated space for the sewage hose.  We've been impressed with the reported quality we see in numerous online reviews but have a few concerns we'd like to get feedback on from the forum to make our final decision.  Our questions are listed below to make it easier to follow.  Of course, we'd also love to hear of any other areas we should be aware of as well!

1. Alde Heat System - While it sounds like a great system, has it been reliable?  Has anyone had any leak issues?  If something does go wrong with the plumbing, is it possible to access it to fix it throughout the trailer?  We've seen some reported corrosion issues, but that doesn't seem to be common - but is it problematic?

2. Wet Bathroom - We're a little worried that the laminate wood door will warp from frequent exposure to moisture/steam from the shower, is that an issue?  We looked at two new 2024's recently, and neither bathroom door really closed flush with the wall, there was a 1" gap at the top.  And is the curtain an annoyance when showering or afterward as it needs to dry?  The Intech Sol trailer, for comparison, has a sealed capsule wet bath that seems easier to work with (although not having a sink in their bathroom isn't great).  Any other water-related issues with the Tab 400 bath?

3. Rooftop Solar Panels - They seem like a great feature, but because we'll have to store our trailer outside, we're wondering if they are subject to weather damage.  We live in the Sierras and can get heavy snow, strong thunderstorms with driving rain, and occasionally hail.  So, we're a bit worried about them.

4. A/C & Other Systems - Just in general, any common issues with the electronics, appliances, A/C, etc.?

Overall, the Tab 400 seems like a great trailer from all the reviews we've seen, but we haven't heard anyone talk about the above items specifically.  So, if folks would like to share both their positive and negative experiences, we'd be incredibly appreciative.  And who knows, maybe next year we'll run into some of you!

Thanks very much for your help!

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• gkreitzburggkreitzburg Member Posts: 25
    edited October 15
    My wife and I have had our 2023 since December, so we've only used it 5 times or so. I believe it is the only trailer we looked at that had ample shower room in the wet bath. I am a little over 6ft and 240lbs, and can shower in it easily. We do leave the curtain mostly out to dry for a while after showering, but it has not been an issue. The biggest issue we've faced is the tiny, tiny little grey and black tanks. it is hard to camp without full hookups.
    The alde system has performed flawlessly for us so far - and we don't really run out of hot water like our friends who have a standard water heater.
    Solar panel hasn't been an issue or suffered any damage. Bigger issue for us is the single 100amp/hr battery doesn't last long enough sometimes. First time at a harvest host in the spring the heat cut off at 5AM because the battery died. It was 37 degrees out, though.
    Otherwise, everything else just works as advertised, AC has been fine. We are planning a trip to Texas next year, so we will get to test that, lol. We have yet to even turn the tv on, as we have been lucky with the weather and have not been inside much except to sleep.
    All in all, except for the fact that you have to go outside to change your mind, lol -- it is a great little camper.
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Daveh839Daveh839 Member Posts: 5
    gkreitzburg - Great feedback, thanks!  We would likely go with the upgraded solar/battery/inverter package just for peace of mind.  We don't expect to dry camp all that often, but the small grey/black tanks did catch my eye in the specs.  But I also suspect we'd use an outdoor shower setup where feasible, which could help in those situations.  Definitely will need to plan stays with full hookups every couple days on longer trips.
  • elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 366
    We have had our '23 Tab 400 since November of 2022. Since then we have put on upwards of 22,000 miles.

1. Alde. We have not had any issues with the Alde system. It has run without any issues and served us well even down to outside temps of 26 degrees.

2. Wet bath. This is a definite upgrade from our previous '21 Tab 320. I am 6' tall and have plenty of room in the 400 compared to the 320. After showering we wring out the curtain and wipe down the shower area. This has worked well for us and have not run into any issues.

3. Rooftop solar. We have had our's stored outside this past year without any problems. Obviously, a nasty storm with hail could cause damage.

4. We don't use the A/C. The Nautilus system has worked great for us. Most of our camping is without hookups. Refilling the water tank has worked great using the nautilus system.

The only issue that I have run into is with the watersealing in the nautilus compartment. It is a very poor design and it was not caulked correctly which was allowing water to leak in. I fixed that.

I immediately replaced the main cabin fan with a MaxxAir fan. Multiple fan speeds and a remote are great for good airflow. I also did my own install of 400ah of batteries and 3000w inverter along with an external solar port for additional panels.

edited October 15
    If you and/or your wife are taller then about 5'-8"', then you might feel cramped in the 320. If your not, then the lighter, easier to pull 320 is worth considering - please note that the tongue weight on the 400 is 400lb unloaded. So choose your TV carefully or look for more stout springs for the rear of your existing. Either way you'll have a good trailer. The Alde Heat System has kept us warm at 20 degrees and works on gas or electric shore power. Roof mounted solar panels are more efficient raised above the roof - but that detail usually comes on much more expensive trailers. An after-market portable solar unit will allow you to park your trailer in the shade and still charge it when shore power is unavailable. Note that a pick-up with a shell over the bed or an SUV with fordable seats can offer additional storage negating the need to purchase a larger trailer.         

TV:2019 Nissan Frontier With an Old Man Emu lift
    Trailer: 2019 T@B 320 Boondock with a Lock&Roll Coupler & Jack-e-up
    California, USA
    elbolillo - Thanks for the great feedback, and the tips on the shower curtain drying, Nautilus calking, and MaxxAir fan.  I'm keeping notes on things we'll need to take care of and this is very helpful info.  Much appreciated.
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 180
    We lived in Tahoe for 4 of the 6 years of ownership and learned quite a few things.
    1. We have had no major issues with the Alde model 3020. For hot water in the shower, it sometimes gets cool for a few seconds and then gets hot again.  Perhaps we were one off with that or maybe it's an issue with the 400s and Alde 3020. We did have issues with the original 2019 bathroom sink, but it's a newer model sink now. It was replaced under warranty. We switched to the new glycol for the Aldi, or whatever it's called, that's standard now. Is that the corrosion you're asking about? We had none, but swapped glycol proactively to the better product. I suspect that the Alde 3020 will soon become the Alde 3030 in the 400 since it's now available on the T@b model 360.
    2. Wet bath never an issue. I see the slightest amount of mold in the corners of the bathroom ceiling, but I will ignore it until spring when I'll clean it out. We even still use the original (washable) shower curtain that's in perfect shape. We've been camping regularly for 7 seasons now.
    3. I did have a problem with the rooftop solar because of a stupid error by me when doing some maintenance. I blew out the electronics of both panels in 2023 and they were replaced. Replacements are available via Amazon. For a 2019 model, since updated, these were almost an exact match.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMNGVV3 I'm sure that you can find replacements, if necessary. I parked "down the hill" over each Tahoe winter and that solved the heavy snow load issue. All summer long we kept it at the house. We moved down the hill in 2022. 
    4. No issues with the electronics at all. Zilch. I did add a Micro-air 364 (since discontinued) softstart to the a/c in order to ease the a/c starting and cycling load. The 400 runs great on a Honda eu2200i generator and the Coolcat a/c is super quiet now. 

Good luck on your decision. I'm 6' and have no issues with the bed, shower, kitchen or dining areas. We did upgrade to 200w lithium in year 5 and are glad to see it standard now. 
    Jean & Arnie  Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

Cherokee - Thanks for the tips on the TV.  I have an F150 5.0 with the off-road package, which I think will handle a 400.  I'm 6'1", and we have two grandsons (6 & 8 years old currently) that will camp with us on occasion, so the 400 with the bunk bed option seems like it would be best option.  Your point on a portable solar panel that allows us to keep the trailer shaded is a great tip, maybe we should go that route rather than getting the second roof panel option.  So much to think about!  Thank you very much.
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 210
    And on the bright side….
    Our 400 is a 2019; so we’ve just completed our 5th season. We spend 30 - 40 nights on board each season and travel 10 to 12 k kilometres each season.
    So far there have been no issues of consequence. Everything works and continues to works. 
    The Alde system is complex and may have precipitated the most postings on a single subject. I change the fluid every two years but with Century as I predate the change to Rhomar.
    If we have a criticism  it is with the bed. Considering our age and mobility our preference would be for twin bunks.
    The 12/120 volt fridge is more than adequate and preserves the large hanging closet and storage shelves. The TV and Jenson radio are seldom used.
    The two 6 volt batteries are still robust and I expect a few more years from them.
    I should also mention that I am 6’-4”” and having turned 80 am on occasion bumping into this or that inside..
    We tow with a Subaru Ascent and have had no issues to report.
    The overall quality, design, and materials of our 400 makes it very difficult to settle for other products. It is simply better.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
    @RCB - Thanks so much for taking your time to share your experience with us!  Yeah, we understand that the "Climb-Over" bed isn't the greatest, but the skylight window over it where we could watch the stars going to sleep is something we haven't seen on any other trailer, so I think we're willing to work with it.  And you're really driving home what we feel about the quality just being superior to other brands.  The other one we've been considering is the Intech Sol, but lack of a bathroom sink and the secondary bed size not being big enough for our grandsons is too much to overcome.  We're really leaning toward the 400.  Thanks for your time!