synthetic oil

ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 455
Is synthetic oil better for towing than blended or conventional oil? We currently use a blend but I wondered if we should use full? The dealer has been covering oils changes but we ran out of freebies this month. Thanks.
2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
Custom Colors & Custom Interior
We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting

Comments

• Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 326
    I think a full synthetic oil is better in all conditions....not just towing.  However, I would look in your manual to see what is recommended for your vehicle.  Today's engines are so refined that oil selection varies widely.
  • Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 522
    You didn't say what your tow vehicle is. A full size pickup isn't going to be as stressed as say a crossover SUV. If the tow vehicles is running at high RPMs for extended times in the mountains it might be beneficial to use a higher quality motor oil. 
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 438
    Synthetic is better period. The blend is what Toyota and others will put in your car but insist on paying to get the full synthetic. You will not notice a difference in the mileage, but the engine will be better lubricated and last longer if you use synthetic. It is a worthwhile investment. You can also add a few thousand miles between changes if you wish. 
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 383
    I totally agree with @tabiphile.  My 21 year old Tundra tow vehicle has had synthetic since the day I drove it home from the dealer in 2003.  260,000 miles later and it's still going strong, no slips or drips!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4