Options

Yet Another Alde Question

I've tried to answer this by reading back posts, but....

Running on propane/battery. Only want hot water. Sliders set to the appropriate settings, per the manual (first notch, propane, water). The system comes on, and we get a quick burst of hot water - scalding, and we can't mix it with cold in the shower - and then nothing. This has happened on three trips now. Thought it might be a leveling issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Very frustrating. Can anyone help?
2016 Outback

Comments

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    My 2016 has a blue/red knob that is the hot water mix.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    Do you remember where that photo Is?
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    BooRadleyBooRadley Member Posts: 39
    yikes. we have a 2016 outback. but i don't think we have a chrome knob. we have the black knob near the other things, with the numbers on it, but i just don't see such a knob. rrr.

thing is, why does it start working and then just stop? today, i saw the exhaust coming out, the whole gurgling noise...and then nothing. i really don't want to take it back to the very unhelpful dealer (who mis-wired our battery).

2016 Outback
  • Options
    maybe we have a 2015? got it in august.

2016 Outback
  • Options
    thanks for this. i'll check in to it.
    2016 Outback
  • Options
    ok, so this is frustrating. the aide seemed to be doing just fine before our last trip - tested it parked on the street - but while camping it did the same thing: really hot at first, then nothing. red light was on, and then off again.

does anyone have any experience here? again, we're not on shore power, just on propane/battery.

if we can't come up with something, we'll go back to the dealer, but that's an hour away. hoping someone can help. again, it's not a fuse issue. could it be connected to the t@b not being level at the campsite? high altitude (we were at 8-9,000 feet)? bad karma?
    2016 Outback
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    BooRadley - As far as I've read, the red light comes on if you're battery is too low or you're out of propane. How was your battery power? I know the fridge is sensitive to not being level when operating on propane so that might be part of it. Also, that altitude could affect it - The fridge comes with a high altitude kit installed - Can't recall any discussion about the Alde and high altitude.
    Have you tried it again while parked on the street? If it works there, I'm betting everything is ok and it was just all of the factors (or combination) you described. I always level even if it's a quick overnight and I don't unhook.
  • Options
    update here. just spent two hours with the t@b parked on the street, and i think i've figured a few things out. it works, but not exactly fine. checked the glycol - almost empty, which is odd. the real issue is getting the hot/cold mix right on the shower, and the fact that the hot water seems to run out really really fast. that's fine, i just want to make sure it's normal. 

also, all of the mixer/knob stuff...we seem to have none of it. under the bench on the driver's side it's all just need hoses - no knobs at all. is this standard on the 2016, does anyone know?

this is the last tiny frustration. otherwise, the t@b has been glorious. we've used it pretty much every weekend. oh, and parked on the street in downtown denver this afternoon...probably 10 people stopped to ask questions. big hit with the homeless crowd...hmm, there's an idea.

anyway, thanks everyone for the help.
    2016 Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2015
    The Alde hot water only has a capacity of 2.5 gallons. So if you're running a lot of hot, it might not keep up very well. That said, the system heats it 'on demand', so theoretically, it can keep up with the demand, but I've heard from others that they've run out of hot water at times.

It heats with either 120v shore power or propane, or both together. It heats a little faster when using both 120v and propane together, and a little faster yet when not heating the cabin space at the same time.

If I remember right, I was able to indulge in a ten minute hot shower once, when I had all hookups (including sewer!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    woodzelwoodzel Member Posts: 10
    Check the underside of the camper to see if the self bleeder is leaking onto the ground . On my 2014 I replaced this valve . Which is inside and it is brass or gold color and has a 3/8" hose emptying thru the floor . Good luck .

T@B CS "The Bedbug"
  • Options
    woodzelwoodzel Member Posts: 10
    No they just sent me another and I paid for it as it was out of warranty .

T@B CS "The Bedbug"
  • Options
    hobbithousehobbithouse Member Posts: 25
    Just a thought, but not being able to mix cold water with the hot, have you checked to make sure the water level in the fresh water tank is sufficient?
    2019 TAB400 2018 Toyota Tacoma 4dr trd off road