Options

Newbie question

Hello, I just recently purchased a 2005 T@b and I am loving it so far. We have used it twice and are planning a 4 day trip (without shore power) in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all the helpful information so far. I have been reading through the solar section but can't seem to find an answer to this question, pardon my ignorance. My t@b does have the 2-pin solar connector in place, not sure if that makes a difference or not.  I have a good idea of what size I need because I have the 3-way fridge and will just be running LED lights, water pump and maybe the fan intermittently.  Do I need a controller with the solar panel (80-100 watt suitcase)? If so, why can I charge the battery from shore power without a controller and not with solar panels?  Could I just plug in a solar panel to the 2 pin connector or connect the battery with alligator clips and be set?  I was looking at the 100 watt Renogy panel but it seems to have issues with the controller so I was hoping to be able to just the panel.  

Thanks for any information as I am new to all this.  

Comments

• Options
    BooRadleyBooRadley Member Posts: 39
    Others will give you more specific info here, I think - lots and lots of threads about what solar to use. 

What sort of panels do you have? We have a Zamp, 120, which includes a controller; so it really is plug and play. It tells us where the battery is, what the charge is, all of that. If you have a different system, different panels, you will have to adjust. Again, check the forums. 

As an aside, we've only camped off the grid, with the Zamp, and once we got the wiring issues straightened out, no problems with the battery or the solar. 

2016 Outback
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    You do need a charge controller.  The converter acts as a charge controller when on shore power.  The renogy units come both ways with and without a CC.  If it were me I would get the CC and RV meter from Bogart engineering and the solar panels elsewhere.  The meter is a great tool to monitor your state of charge.  You program how many amp hours you have with your batteries and a few other parameters.  The closer the CC is to the batteries the better.  The Renogy units work well for many people here.  I am using 2  Renogy 100 Watt flexible panels made into a suitcase.  My needs are more than most with 12v fridge, CPAP and ARB.  Best of luck!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    pikapika Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for info!  That is what I was looking for, the reason I can charge it with shore power without having a controller. I will make sure to get a controller when I order the panels.

Thanks!
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Another brand of CC that are very good are Morningstar.  The key is adjustability for set points for your batteries.  Google handy Bob's solar.  The guy has some great info.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL