Options

First Trip was a Success after All!

ELKELK Member Posts: 213
Just want to report that my very first camping in a trailer trip was a success! The T@B was a willing and droll companion to the Volvo...very amenable and nimble....living up to, I suppose, her name, The Nimbus!.....  Everything worked. Stove, fridge, Alde, toilet, and even my 6'3" husband was comfortable....when sitting or lying down. We had our friends over for supper...I thought it was great...I think they felt a little cramped...but they're big RV people. The 2 dogs we took along had a gas...I think they LOVED sleeping on the bed, which is HUGE, the best.

We missed our first night (wasn't sure my brake controller was working and it was going to be raining and very dark by the time we arrived) but had a whole day and a half, which I pretty much chalk up as "newbie learning adventure. "   There were 2 other T@Bs (in tandem) there and truly many folk stopped to admire her...Cute and Cool being the buzz words.

I think I will be very able and comfortable going alone to shows (dog) with her in the future....esp once I learn to back up better....  I'm about to go searching for an online practice tutorial...you know a video game kind of thing which might help me remember the physics better!

Thanks to the VERY supportive and encouraging T@B community online, a whole new adventure is opening up! Thank you!

2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Glad it went well - Congrats.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited September 2015
    Awesome. Glad you got past the brake controller issue.  Nothing worse than planning, packing, gearing up, heading out, and having to come back, for whatever reason. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    CanuckTabberCanuckTabber Member Posts: 41
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    Sounds like it worked great! BTW, which way did you end up going on getting your brake controller installed? Did you go with a wireless on the XC70 or did you find someone to wire using the Volvo harness and module?
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    Elk,

The best way to learn to back a trailer is to find an empty parking lot and practice until you are comfortable...  We can explain it all day, but you just have to do it...

Take a few cones to simulate backing to an angled space....

Glad you had a good trip.  

I am about your husbands size (6'-4" and 215b) and it was good to hear he was comfortable...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    T@Buhura said:
    Sounds like it worked great! BTW, which way did you end up going on getting your brake controller installed? Did you go with a wireless on the XC70 or did you find someone to wire using the Volvo harness and module?

The RV dealer wired it into the Volvo harness....and it worked great the first day....but now the Trailer brakes only work with manual control, not with brake pedal.
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    Elk that may be due to bad ground wire..  May have rusted since install....
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    Well done, ELK! I will be at dog events in WA and OR this summer with the two hounds and the T@b. Cannot wait! 
    PS I am doing parking lot and cone games this weekend :)
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Elk that may be due to bad ground wire..  May have rusted since install....
    But I only got it in August and we've no rain... really.  I read that some of the connections need attention....What blows my mind is how well the Volvo did! Going with no trailer brakes....!
    I'm going to take it in and find out!
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    ELK said:
    T@Buhura said:

The RV dealer wired it into the Volvo harness....and it worked great the first day....but now the Trailer brakes only work with manual control, not with brake pedal.
    Oh Strange, you're not using a brake controller? Brake controllers sense the change in velocity and send signal to the electric brakes in the trailer. Maybe using an RF controller like the Tekonsha RF might help.
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    T@Buhura said:
    ELK said:
    T@Buhura said:

Oh Strange, you're not using a brake controller? Brake controllers sense the change in velocity and send signal to the electric brakes in the trailer. Maybe using an RF controller like the Tekonsha RF might help.

I'm taking it in next week... I called Tekonsha and they think the red wore just came loose...We'll see!  The Volvo is a champ....I am totally in love with it.
  • Options
    wire