Options

Is 12V available under rear shelf on 2016 T@B S?

Got my quote for a T@B today. I had requested a price for two additional 12V outlets, one on each side of the shelf behind the sofa, for charging our iPhones & iPads. I felt that the price was a bit high - $100 each.

We have the technical ability to install outlets ourselves, assuming that 12 volts are already available in that area. Does anyone know for sure?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The lights on the cabinets in back are 12v so it'd probably be easy to tie in and mount on the bottom side of the cabinets. If you wanted them on the shelf, you'd probably have to string wire from under the driver's side bench seat.
  • Options
    propuspropus Member Posts: 54
    I bought a 2x USB plug and spliced it into the reading lights. Mounted it on the rear shelf area. Works good. Keep the wires tied up out of the alde.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @propus, thank you! Where did you splice the plug into the reading lights? Under the rear shelf? I don't want to have visible wires running up the corners.

I plan to use 12v outlets instead of USB outlets since there is a continual small current draw with the USB outlets. We can plug in our USB adapters when we need to charge something.
  • Options
    propuspropus Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2015
    All the wiring is under the shelf. If you're going to install 110VAC outlets you would probably splice into the 110 outlet next to the converter. There is another 110VAC outlet in the Alde bay, but I would leave it dedicated to the Alde. The small conduit from the wheel well is very full. I couldn't even fit a fishtape through it, so you may need to install another piece of PVC. Be sure you don't exceed the converter's rated current for that circuit. Personally, I would just put a switch in the DC line if I wanted to isolate the outlet. Easier than working with AC.

USB.jpg 114.9K
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I wasn't planning to add another AC outlet. None of the campgrounds we've tent camped at have had electric and I anticipate we'll continue to camp at the same type of places. We already have an inverter we've used for charging laptops, Canon batteries, and the like from the car battery, so all we need is 12vdc. 

Thanks for for posting the picture. You did a nice neat job of installation.