Options

T@B for tall people?

NinjaminiNinjamini Member Posts: 9
edited October 2014 in Introductions
Considering a t@b or t@da.. Also looking at a campinn or a vistabule. Me 6'4" 250#+ wife 5'11". Are we too tall for these? We want a small camper but like the put you pants on feature of the t@b. Any big people out there enjoying one?

Comments

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Here's the thing... I'm 6'1". You have to think of these as plush teardrops, a roomy alternative to their smaller brethren. You will stoop in the front of the T@b, but once you sit down or sleep? It feels desceptively larger. I will never be an 8' ceiling RV, but they are rarely sub 2k lbs.

I would recommend a visit to one... ...but seriously, sit down, open the windows, and see if it doesn't ahock you at how roomy it feels.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Thanx. I was more wondering about the bed. There is no way I could stand. How about the size of the bed.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2014
    The T@DA TXL (the more common one with the bed in front) would be tough for you. I think I remember that the bed is 75 inches long or so. You'd have to be comfortable sleeping in the fetal position or diagonally. On the upside, the T@DA is only 3 feet longer but feels twice as big as the T@B inside (per my T@B-owning friend, with whom I agree on that assessment!). I am over 5'7" and the T@DA is a perfect height for me inside, my 6'3" boyfriend...not so much! Both the T@B and T@DA are a step up from the teardrops, though, since you can stand up (at least hunched) to put your pants on. :). My 6x10 SIlver Shadow had a very roomy king-sized bed, though. It's all about compromises with these trailers.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Have you considered the r-pod? That has a 78" interior height.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    You can always use the add-a-room for a lot of extra space.  We've slept as many as 6 while on a church retreat.  I have the Dutchmen "Q" and my queen sheets are too small.  It's a nice, large bed.  We keep food in the cabinet between the fridge and the door, so hubby can reach items from the cabinets and fridge without even entering the trailer.

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    The actual size of the Q's bed is 72 wide (side-to-side) by 75 long (front-to-back) which means it's king width (72) but 5 inches short of a king or queen typically 80 inches. We just ordered an RVSuperbag for our Q in a King size knowing it will be wide enough but we'll have a little excess in length.

good luck...stan
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    TABaker - where is that photo taken (on a lake)? Looks like a great spot! And is the screen room something one person could handle putting up? I really want to get one when I get my T@B but would be doing it alone. Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    edited November 2014
    I'm 6ft1in and have to sleep diagonally with mt short wife...6'4" would be pushing it...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I am wondering if you have the queen bed model?
    I'm 6ft1in and have to sleep diagonally with mt short wife...6'4" would be pushing it...

• Options
    RousTABoutRousTABout Member Posts: 3
    A good alternative to get the added height when needed is the new Alto teardrop by Safari Condo, which I think is manufactured in Quebec, Canada and retails for around $24,000. They have a very modern interior, unlike the cozy T@b.   http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes

"With an exterior height of only 83,5 inches (2, 12 m) with the roof down, all R-series Alto models fit easily in your garage. With the roof up, they offer a very comfortable living space with an 82-inch (2, 08 m) interior clearance. Their front dining area is usable even with the rear bed deployed. Beds, fridge, storage and toilet are all usable even with the roof down. You can create two different dining areas by simply moving the table. A model with indoor shower is available."

1683 lbs, sleep up to 4
    • 72" X 76" King size bed
    • Converts to two 27" X 76" single bed
    • Front dining area converts to 36" X 81" single bed
    • Dining area available even while bed is set-up
    • The table can be moved to create two distinct dining areas : a two-seat and a five-seat dinette
    • Fixed flush toilet
    • Storage in the toilet cabinet

Lenore's Roust@bout  - 2015 Silver/Black Q + Volvo XC60 - Alberta, Canada
  • Options
    PhotoJoePhotoJoe Member Posts: 34
    I really like the idea of the Safari Alto but it is very over budget for us!
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I also have been interested in (and at one point leaning toward) the Alto but wondered about warranty work as there are no dealers in the US. They're a very long way from the southwest. Do like a lot of what it offers but would want to see one in person --- however, I dropped that interest after seeing the T@Bs and the fact there are many dealers in the U.S. who could do warranty work if needed.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    I love the alto but with no dealers in the us it's impossible to see one living in south florida. Standing up is nice but I'm more about a bed that fits me, it sure looks cool though. Anyone with a tab in s florida want to show off?
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    http://i.rvworldinc.com/Page.aspx/pageId/7651/view/home/Search-Inventory.aspx I don't know where you are in Southern Florida, but the dealer closest to me that sells T@bs has 5 new 2015 models (see link). They are in Nokomis (West Coast between Sarasota and Venice).
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    There's a database in the other forum that might help you find a Floridian T@bber... https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tabtrailers/database/31/edit

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Having owned a T@b, I can tell that it would be fairly easy to rig up a method for extending the bed, especially on the door side, in a manner that would allow a taller person access to a longer bed environment.

Short term, I would encourage you to lay down and curl in your current main bed, and have your significant other use a tape measure to mark the occupied space. This will aid you in determining what is needed, and what is desired.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    You could use your ice chest to extend the length of the bed area. I had considered that resolve until we realized that we could fit comfortably sleeping wheel to wheel. 
    You would benefit from physically getting into a T@B with your partner and lying down together. The space is very tight, lying down and standing up. We have a clamshell and we have the forward bench. We use the bench a lot because we keep our bed made when we travel. It helps so much when we  are trying to get ready for bed. Richard is 6' and I am 5'5". The clamshell bed is a little smaller than the other models but is comfortable for us when traveling. Our dog also fits in there somewhere. She sleeps on the floor most of the time. 
    Finding a spot to keep our shoes is the biggest space problem. Wow, someone on the forum, wears a 13!!!!! 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    They seem really cool. I'll have to make a trip to see one. Hopefully I'll be out camping soon.
  • Options
    belvagillespie, I wear a 13 EEEE shoe. There so hard to find.
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Where do you put them in the T@B? 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

There are many creative storage ideas for "stuff" in the T@B.  Definitely you need to get into one and lay down and see how it feels.  I am 5'4" and can sleep "wheel to wheel" as Belva says.  I have the "S" Model, so sleeping front to back is also an option that has more room lengthwise.  I am a former tent camper and backpacker, and I find the T@B to be a luxury hotel compared to what I have had in the past.  If you are very tall, a clamshell might be a good choice to allow more room for cooking. 

;;)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)