Options

A Forgotten Necessity

A FLY SWATTER:  I have been camping in my T@B for two years.  During my recent trip, I realized something I really needed I did not have, and that is something as mundane as a fly swatter.  I used rolled up paper and a dish towel until I could make a stop at Wal-Mart.  If you are outfitting for the first time, I highly recommend you add this to your list.

I realize that some of you have screen doors, but a screen door is only really advantageous if you plan to keep the outer door open.  When you enter and exit, ALL doors must be opened, including the screen door.  Every fly (and skeeter) in the area will see that opening immediately and make a beeline for it.

BTW, the Black Hills and the Badlands have not changed much in the four times I've been there; still spectacular.  Also, they are doing major road work from Wall, SD, south on Hwy 240, so you can expect major delays if you're headed that way anytime soon.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep - Flys and they're especially thick this time of the year. And there's no way to keep them out, some sneak in every time you enter/exit. I finally stopped into a farm supply store and got some of those old style sticky strips.
    240 was a mess when I was there a month ago. Did you happen to hit that boondocking area just north of the entrance to the Badlands?
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Road work had the entrance to that area blocked, but from what I could see, it did look interesting.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I picked up an battery operated fly swatter at Harbor Freight. It's very satisfying hearing the "zap" when you get one. Also, you get them in the air, and not on one of your surfaces.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    If you want to kill flys with style try this device...  Works
    great....

http://www.amazon.com/SKELL-INC-2-0-BUG-A-SALT/dp/B00STSZ77G
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    That is an expensive insect repellent but is probably fun to use.  I love the electric tennis racket style jappers and agree the zapping sound is gratifying.  We were up in the UP if Michigan on our way out to Alaska in late July using one and I never laughed so hard as it sounded like an electric zapper as my buddy Tom swatted full circle around himself and the snapping echoed in the darkness.  They definitely do work!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    The UP is brutal for bugs!  I'm not typically all that bothered by them, but that's my predominant memory of the UP!  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA