Options

8 Day off grid camping trip.

EndoEndo Member Posts: 12
So I just got back from a 8 day off grid camping trip with Blossom. (our T@B) She did great, She survived 1 very hard hail storm, 3 medium to light hail storms with zero damage. I had plenty of water in the tank, and some leftover LP. I ran the fridge for 5 days straight until it got cold enough to move the food back to the coolers. I also ran the heater every night for and hour or so to get the chill out and about an hour the last 3 mornings of the trip. The final night it hailed marble size and close to 2 inches of hail on the ground when I went to bed, woke up with 1/2 inch of snow and temps in the upper 20's. I really didn't use the stove as I enjoy cooking outside over the fire. Now for the battery, thank goodness I took a generator because the adele system sucks a lot out of the battery, ran the generator every 2 days for an hour sometimes hour and half. I'm guessing the fan for the fridge could have an affect on the battery also. This little camper is amazing and so happy to have one!!!!  On a side note, if you hear 3 gunshots anytime during the nite do not be afraid to get up, a lost hunter may need help.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Hmmmm - haven't really noticed an Alde drain - Have solar? I suppose with the storms/hail it wouldn't have helped as much. If I have good solar I don't need to haul out the gen.
  • Options
    EndoEndo Member Posts: 12
    Solar will be my next purchase, any suggestions on what kind of solar?
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    While I am a solar advocate, I would suggest you upgrade to 2 golf cart batteries first.  You would then have over 200-230 AH of battery life.  Your first solar decision is if you want it portable or permanently attached.  Next is if you are comfortable doing some work yourself.  You also need to estimate your daily wattage usage.  You will find many different opinions here. 
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I agree with jcf about the batteries (if you can find a way to mount them).  We have an 80watt Zamp solar which I'd consider a minimum...provides 2-4amps with full sun...so it is more of an adjunct.  What size generator do you use?  I'm tempted to get the 1000W Honda, not for A/C but for situations like yours.  And thanks for the commentary about hail...many of us have wondered!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    I have the Zamp 120w panels and a measly group 24 battery and do just fine. If I was going to do it now, I'd get 200w (wasn't available last year) and a group 27 battery (dealer was actually suppose to install that. The two golf cart batteries are just too much hassle in my opinion (either internal install or external like Jenn's) unless you're really going to do extended boondocking while hiding in the forest with no solar - sorry John :-)
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I'm with Pxlated.  I went with a group 27 AGM (100 amps).  If you decide you need 200 amps, just add another AGM battery running in parallel (which is what I did).  I normally run with 136 watts permanently installed on roof and can boost to 200 with a third panel that is not permanent.  I think two 100 watt panels would be more efficient and better approach at this point in time (my system is 3-4 years old).  I wish they would come out with an easy new permanent install, but love that I don't have to normally deal with solar (it's always on and working -- just adjust setup for sun and I'm fine - or add the third one in a better location if needed).  
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I really wish Renogy would come out with more than their 100w suitcase (thinking they'd be less expensive than the Zamp). I have a group 29 battery. I'm not handy enough to build my own suitcase type (the kind I want) so may save and cough up enough for the Zamp 160. Think those two are compatible (the group 29 and 160w)? I plan on being very frugal with usage.

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Here is a photo of my Renogy 200 watt suitcase made with the flexible PV.  I am really happy with how it works.  The case weighs only 20 lbs and the frame is quite light as well.  As far as the battery choice goes, it all depends on your usage, we have the 12volt DC fridge, ARB fridge and I use a CPAP at night.  It allows me to go 3-4 days if it is cloudy without getting stressed out.  I have also attached a photo of my dual GC AGM batteries. 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1 - For your requirements, that makes sense.