Options

2016 M@x-S Outback Ketchum, Idaho

RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
edited October 2015 in Introductions
Well, we did it! My wife and I just purchased our 1st trailer today.  She'll be ready for pick-up next Wednesday, then onto her 1st overnight trip.  We are quite excited and pleased to take on this new adventure. Any tips you all have will be greatly appreciated.  
Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Congrats - Tip = Practice backing up in a large parking lot - start by trying to just backup straight as this will give you a feel for how you need to just make small adjustments. Once you get a feel, then try backing into an angled slot like most campground sites.
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Re: practicing to back up with a trailer, while we were waiting for our t@b (the 1st trailer we ever owned) we rented a small U-haul trailer for a day and practiced with it on an empty parking lot. It was very helpful especially for me, b/c I had zero prior experience with driving a trailer (hubby drove some previously). 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We bought an Outback back in April and love it. The perfect size for the kind of towing and camping we do.  Towing over the mountains or through prairie wind is easy. Camping in bear country or national forest campgrounds are the best.
    Here are my recommendation:

Read this forum for what can go wrong and how to fix it.
    The bed slat modification is the best first mod. to do.
    We took the spare tire off roof and store under rear seat. Too much weight on the roof IMO.
    Take plenty of leveling blocks to use under stabilizer jacks. Outback is too high off the ground for the jack arms. Also make sure they give you a longer crank.
    Check the torque on all bolts and screws. Remember, most of the screws are only secured in a thin layer of fiberglass. Don't  over tighten.
    While cooking we put a windshield shade against the front window to protect the curtain.
    Learn the Alde system. It's great.
    Always keep the roof vent open a little. Gets stuffy inside at night.
    Zamp solar panels work great.
    Get use to bumping you head on the ceiling.

Enjoy the Outback.
  • Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    Thanks Everyone!!  Took it for a test run last night after pick-up and WOW!!  We love it.  
    Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    looks like everyone is having fun!!  Hope the bed slats work out for you, we really like them in our T@B. We are taking it out tomorrow for a long weekend, going to be a bit cold highs in the upper 40's and down to low 30's at night, should be lots of fun!!!
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Looks like you got yours from Bretz too. We got ours from Bretz Billings. What was you purchase experience like?
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Agree with all the comments especially the bed slats. We just completed ours and it makes a big difference. On Our T@B Max S on the entry door side make sure that the slat support does not cover the heating vent slats. We arched our support here it came in contact with the vent slat hole. We picked up a small foldable table for eating etc inside should the weather be bad. We also added a storage box from Cabelas (they have one that is 14" wide and fits great), in front of our propane  battery box for the power cord hose and some other small items. Good luck and happy T@Bing
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God